Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

Analyzer rebuild/RAID and File System

I set up our FA 800a when I was brand new to Fortinet, and made a mistake i need to repair. I set it up with RAID 0 and I need the redundancy of RAID 5, do i need to do a complete rebuild to change the RAID level? Also, I have read in posts that people are recommending ext3 as a file system, i have reiserfs, should I switch, and I assume this also requires a rebuild. The problem with a rebuild is I need to keep all of the data that is stored on the FA for our customers. I need to know of a process to back everything up off the FA and then restore it. Can I do this, has anyone done this, if so what advice do you have and what steps do you recommend? Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9
Not applicable

Hi Christian Straight out of Fortinet' s mouth: In FortiAnalyzer v3.00 MR3, a CLI only command has been added to change the log disk file system to the Ext3 file system. This is accomplished using the " execute formatlogdisk" command. Ext3 provides far greater stability over the current FortiAnalyzer file Reiser file system. When a FortiAnalyzer upgrades to v3.00 MR3, though the Web UI or CLI, the file system remains unchanged as ReiserFS. The ReiserFS is upgraded to Ext3 only by the " execute formatlogdisk" command or by changing the RAID level. In a nutshell, the disks are formatted. Since I have had units go down with a change of OS, I recommend that you export your logs to an FTP Server from CLI using the command: exec backup logs ' all' <ip address> <username> <password> <directory> To Restore: exec restore logs ' all' <ip address> <username> <password> <directory> Make sure that you also backup the config files (either through CLI or Web) as well.
Not applicable

u just follow steps above provided by glen and download the RVS engine. The most important things are to backup ur config (to be safe) and logs (this 4 sure lost). When, u finished formatted the disk, check ur RVS engine and upload it if the version return to 0.00.
Not applicable

oh yes...not forgetting to upload back ur logs using CLI :execute restore log bla bla bla. good luck dude
Not applicable

Has anyone done this? Are there any gotchas i should look out for?
Fireshield
New Contributor

It' s really as easy as these directions. Just verify the files arrived where you copied them off to before formatting.
FCSE > FCNSP 2.8 > FCNSP 3.0 (Former) FCT
FCSE > FCNSP 2.8 > FCNSP 3.0 (Former) FCT
Not applicable

I get this when I try to run the log backup. tar (child): gzip: Cannot exec: No such file or directory tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now tar (child): gzip: Cannot exec: No such file or directory tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now tar (child): gzip: Cannot exec: No such file or directory tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now tar (child): gzip: Cannot exec: No such file or directory tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now Backing up DeviceNameXXXX ... ftp: ' cd log_files' failed. Backup failed. error -1. sh: /bin/rm: No such file or directory Invalid length of value. any ideas?
Not applicable

have u check you ftp server running or not???
Not applicable

Ok, I am done, and thanks a million for all of your help. I backed up reformated into ext3 with Raid 5 and all is great. Just one question, it know says, after the restore, that I have 191 binary files that need to be regenerated. I assume that this is obviously all of the log files i just restored need to be indexed. Is that correct? And is it normal to see that message, although with a much lower number, during the regular functioning of the device?
Not applicable

What I was told by tech support was the binary files must be regenerated messages mean is you are receiving logs from a FortiGate device that is running a different version OS than the Analyzer, and apparently it has to convert them to the format of the OS on your Analyzer.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors