Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rschisler
New Contributor

5.2 SSLVPN FortiClient

I am currently testing deployment of the new Forticlient (I am using the VPN Only selection) installation for 5.2. I would like the interface to be as clean as possible for our employees, however, this new version contains a lot of banner ads, which I feel should not be present in an enterprise environment. It may cause confusion for my end-users, and overall looks fairly unprofessional. Is there any way to eliminate all 3 of the banner ads at the bottom of the Forticlient, as well as the " Register to Fortigate" link?
8 REPLIES 8
Christopher_McMullan

Just shooting from the hip: there should be a <banner></banner> field where you can toggle these ads on or off.

Regards, Chris McMullan Fortinet Ottawa

neonbit
Valued Contributor

Wow that' s alot of banners! Each time I' ve installed FortiClient I have only ever seen one row of the banner, not three. The easiest way I disable the banner for clients that have been registered on the FortiGate is to do it via the GUI. There' s an option box to enable/disable the banners (highlighted below). If you want to deploy a premade config to users that have not been registered yet then you can change the ' ads' variable to 0 (default is 1: ie on). Below is a snippet of this, with the other variables cleaned up for clarity. <forticlient_configuration> <system> <ui> <ads>0</ads> # other variables here </ui> </system> </forticlient_configuration> I haven' t tested removing the ' Register to Fortinet' yet, but I would assume it would be something along the lines of enabling the ' disable_unregister' option and enabling ' silent_registration' while manually adding the FortiGate. Again not too sure :) The XML guide shows all the variables that you can configure: http://docs.fortinet.com/uploaded/files/2076/forticlient-xml-52.pdf
Mark_Oakton
Contributor

have you tried the tool to allow repackaging and configuration of the client?
Infosec Partners
Infosec Partners
Newbie77
New Contributor

Where would we get the tool that repackages and configures the SSLVPN client?

neonbit
Valued Contributor

Hi Newbie,

If you're just looking for an SSLVPN client without IPSEC support then I would recommend staying away from the FortiClient and using the standalone SSLVPN one instead. It's much smaller, easier to use and works on Windows, Macs and Linux. It can be found in the VPN folder of the FortiGate firmware. I've attached a pic of how it looks.

dmux
New Contributor

neonbit wrote:

Hi Newbie,

If you're just looking for an SSLVPN client without IPSEC support then I would recommend staying away from the FortiClient and using the standalone SSLVPN one instead. It's much smaller, easier to use and works on Windows, Macs and Linux. It can be found in the VPN folder of the FortiGate firmware. I've attached a pic of how it looks.[attachImg]https://forum.fortinet.com/download.axd?file=0;118156&where=message&f=ssl.JPG[/attachImg]

neonbit,

Sorry, but can you point me in the direction of the Apple OSX client that is similar to the one in the picture? The client I see available for OSX is the OnlineInstaller version (see image below). If I go into the SSLVPNTools subfolder, I only see Linux or Windows based clients, nothing for OSX. I would like to be able to distribute the installation package through my own means and not require that my clients run an online installer for each of their computers.

Thanks,

dmux

PIDDLAW
New Contributor III

look in the older firmware images folders.

they stop distribution of stand alone ssl client a while ago it seems to us.

dmux
New Contributor

PIDDLAW wrote:

look in the older firmware images folders.

they stop distribution of stand alone ssl client a while ago it seems to us.

PIDDLAW,

Thanks for the suggestion. If anyone else is looking for the simple SSL VPN client for OSX (without the ads and other components), it can be found in "/FortiGate/v5.00/5.0/5.0.6/SSL-VPN/" in the Download > Firmware section of the support website.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors