Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
remog
New Contributor

dhcp server fortigate and ip helper cisco

hardware: Fortigate 310b software: FortiGate 4.0 MR3 Patch Release 15 (0672) Hello forum users, I got a problem while defining dhcp server on an interface which is not member of the defined network range. The sense of creating an ip helper is to reach a dhcp server . This service takes dhcp broadcast packets and generates unicast packets to the defined dhcp server. I found the following article in the knowledge base, but it' s confusing me. http://docs-legacy.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/50/index.html#page/FortiOS%25205.0%2520Help/advanced.105.19.html " If an interface is connected to multiple networks via routers, you can add a DHCP server for each network. The IP range of each DHCP server must match the network address range. The routers must be configured for DHCP relay." The routers should be configured with ip helper, i think that' s clear. But it doesn' t make sense when the ip range for each DHCP server must match the network address range. It doesn' t make sense to configure an interface on the fortigate while using the dhcp range behind a router. The implementation should look like this (bottom-up): - dhcp server interface 10.1.0.1/24; range 10.2.0.17-10.2.0.254 - # fortigate # - transfer - # router1 # - transfer - # router2 # - ip address 10.2.0.1 255.255.255.0 - - ip helper-address 10.1.0.1 - # dhcp client # It would be great if somebody could assist to solve this problem. Thank you. Best Regards Remo
1 REPLY 1
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi, entering an IP address range totally different from the interface address is not prohibited! Just not the normal use case. Give it a try.
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors