Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
geotz79
New Contributor

assign public IPv6 address to WAN port (hyperoptic)

after a lot of trial and error I got IPv6 working with hyperoptic in the UK. the only part I can't figure out how to assign an IPv6 address to the WAN interface, the WAN interface seems to only have a private address and not an assigned address from the DHCP-PD pool.

home (interface) # show
config system interface
    edit "wan1"
        set vdom "root"
        set mode dhcp
        set allowaccess ping fgfm
        set type physical
        set estimated-upstream-bandwidth 1000000
        set estimated-downstream-bandwidth 1000000
        set monitor-bandwidth enable
        set role wan
        set snmp-index 1
        config ipv6
            set ip6-allowaccess ping fgfm
            set dhcp6-prefix-delegation enable
            set autoconf enable
            config dhcp6-iapd-list
                edit 1
                    set prefix-hint ::/56
                    set prefix-hint-plt 0
                    set prefix-hint-vlt 0
                next
            end
        end
        set dns-server-override disable
        set macaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    next

2 REPLIES 2
Raghu_Kumar
Staff
Staff

DHCPv6 stateful server

Similar to a DHCPv4 server, a DHCPv6 server is stateful. It can track client/server states, assign IP addresses to clients, and maintain full control over the process. In addition to assigning IP addresses, a DHCP server can also provide DNS server addresses. However, this IP address assignment method does not support failover protection. If the DHCPv6 server fails, hosts are unable to obtain an IPv6 address, and the network ceases to function. Furthermore, DHCPv6 does not provide gateway information. 

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.4.1/administration-guide/776785/dhcpv6-stateful-serve...

Raghuram Kumar
geotz79
New Contributor

I understand, but I am sorry this does not answer the question; the WAN interface has a private IPv6 address, so there is no public IP I can route over the internet to address the WAN interface using IPv6; I can address devices behind the firewall using IPv6 and AAAA entries but I can't address the WAN port. I have a IP4 address, but if I would not, how would I connect a VPN if there is no IPv6 address associated with the WAN interface that can be routed?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors