Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
technologist36
New Contributor

Wireless guest management is not working after version upgrade to 5.2.3

Dear all,

Auto-generated guest users' usernames and passwords aren't working for guests. Configuration isn't changed after the upgrade. I have a user group of type "guest" was created and mapped to the auto-generated users. An address range object was created that defines the range of DHCP addresses of wireless clients. A policy rule was created by adding the user group and the address range as source and "all" destination toward the internet.

Now, a guest came in and tried to enter the auto-generated username and password in the authentication portal and portal keeps asking for credential.

Does this happen to anybody else?

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
technologist36
New Contributor

Upgraded to 5.2.4 and still not working.

Need Help Plz.....

Chris

Hi,

you said ".. A policy rule was created by adding the user group".

Is the user group of Type "guest" ?

This is required otherwise it will not run.

I have the same configuration with a FGT60D for Wifi and it runs.

technologist36

James,

Yes, I've mentioned that I am using a group of type guest in my first post. Anyways, it's working now after I renamed the auto-generated users. For example, renamed "user0001" to "Scott" and it worked. Strange but worked.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Technologist, sri you are right. I have overlooked the part with type guest. I have now tested it again with autogenerated user and it works. Username here was user0012. By the way I am now on V5.2.5 you also?

Which device you have?

technologist36

James, no harm done at all. No, I am still on 5.2.4 and to be honest I don't want to upgrade unless there is an urgent need to do so. FSSO had a bug in 5.2.3 that forced me to upgrade to 5.2.4. FSSO now is working fine and I see no reason to upgrade.

Device is 80C (old b@st@rd) :)

Thanks

Chris

I think there is an urgent need to upgrade to 5.2.5. Have you  seen this bulletin from Fortinet? --snip ------ Customer Support Bulletin CSB-151124-1 "FortiGate flash disk errors" Potentially Affected Products: Low end FortiGate/FortiWifi models with flash storage 20C, 40C, 60C, 80C, 60D, 90D, 100D

Link: https://support.fortinet....lletin.aspx?section=46

technologist36

Thanks for posting this bulletin link. Okay, I hope these issues are really fixed as this bulletin claims. My experience with upgrading FG units is not good because sometimes a failure happens somewhere or configuration doesn't work anymore. I think it's a good idea to read public comments who upgraded to this version and see if it's stable. I won't take the risk until it's properly tested.

Thanks

Chris

They have reduced the usage of flash memory as far as i can read. It is strange that some processes cause heavy disk usage to flash like  DHCP/PPPOE or Device identification. However the flash is not replaceable . It is firmly connected with the mainboard. Yes I also wait when a new Firmware comes up und read carefully the forum. My motto is also:  "never change a running System." In the years who I had to do with Fortigate Units there were relatively few problems with upgrades. But in some special cases you can never rule out what happens. A short  question I have on the subject and maybe you can help me. When a user has been successfully authenticated and then uses the Wifi-Device later again he must already authenticate again. Do you have this behavior seen too?

technologist36

James, this has to do with authentication timeout. By default, it's 480 sec. As a security best practice, authentication timeout is necessary. Why is it a problem to you?

Thanks

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors