Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MarkusKoehler
New Contributor

Windows updates fails with enabled Forticlient

Since last week we experiencing a lot of problems with Windows updates (mostly Windows 11, but there was one Windows 10 among them as well), specifically KB5040442. On about 10% of our Windows clients the update would start and go until 96% and stay there for 10-60 minutes, and then after a restart Windows would tell us that something did go wrong and it would reverse the update. This would require multiple restarts and anything in the order of 2-10h. The usual information sources did not reveal anything unusual with this update round, so it had to be some uncommon conditions here.

When Windows was back online, it would sometimes (!) show an error code 0x800f0922, oftenly nothing, and on next restart it would try to install it again (and our employees losing again 4-10h with a working computer). First remedy, as described in the error code was to increase the size of the recovery partition to at least 250MB, but that helped only on one computer. No other things related to the code did apply to us or help. DISM and SFC sometimes would find something, but did not help in fixing the issues with the update. Over time some of the computers randomly succeeded in installing the update.

Last straw I had was to disable and uninstall Forticlient. And with that so far all of the clients went through the update without a hitch. Now I am anxious that it will return with the next update when I reinstall Forticlient. In retrospective, two computers had some troubles with some previous updates, but we re-installed Windows on them. Both were also affected this time.

What should be do and how can we prevent that from happening again? Is there anything to further debug and diagnose this issue?

For your reference we use Forticlient 7.2.4.0972 with EMS, and a Fortigate 200F as main firewalls. We have the web filter, AV and real-time protection enabled, as well as Anti-malware, Anti-Exploit and Cloud-base malware protection.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Markus

10 REPLIES 10
rgs-araujo

Hi Arahman, thanks for the reply.

But I think the link you gave (vpn stops working after windows update) doesn't seem to be related to the issue in this thread (windows update fails or takes too long).

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors