Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
TheOnlyJames
New Contributor

WiFi using FortiAuthenticator RADIUS with certificates

Following this link - https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortiauthenticator/6.0.0/cookbook/812128/creating-a-local-ca-on-f...

I am a little confused, the cookbook suggests you have to create a user certificate? i have over 500 LDAP users, that cant be right can it? it also suggests you create the local users on the FAC? thats a bit pointless, my FAC is connected to AD, so why would I need to create the users again,  Im looking for a solution where the users connected to the business WIFI, using their machine certs, not sure why we need user certs, is it another check or something? thanks

1 Solution
ebilcari

Yes, it doesn't have to be that difficult :) the cookbook is a bit old. You have to pay attention also to the CRLs in order to prevent logins from hosts with revoked certificates.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
ebilcari

This a new option added in later versions of FAC, I guess you are still on the 6.4 firmware. Try to upgrade to the 6.5 firmware branch, the screenshot is from a FAC running 6.5.5.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
TheOnlyJames

I am on 6.6.0, i created a new Policy and then was able to select cert, so this option, purely looks at the cert and lets the user authenicate, nothing else, whereas the other option does what? its the same thing?

ebilcari

Like shown also from within the FAC GUI, the bindings has an extra verification step. It will try to match the CN of the certificate to the username of a local/remote user. If that doesn't match the authentication will fail:

bindi2.PNG

- Emirjon
The_Nude_Deer
Contributor

right! so this is the method I need to use. USER CERT, then checked in LDAP.. so its the 2nd option I need. right? thank you, there just isnt a clear guide for that option! still looking

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors