Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
TheOnlyJames
New Contributor

WiFi using FortiAuthenticator RADIUS with certificates

Following this link - https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortiauthenticator/6.0.0/cookbook/812128/creating-a-local-ca-on-f...

I am a little confused, the cookbook suggests you have to create a user certificate? i have over 500 LDAP users, that cant be right can it? it also suggests you create the local users on the FAC? thats a bit pointless, my FAC is connected to AD, so why would I need to create the users again,  Im looking for a solution where the users connected to the business WIFI, using their machine certs, not sure why we need user certs, is it another check or something? thanks

1 Solution
ebilcari

Yes, it doesn't have to be that difficult :) the cookbook is a bit old. You have to pay attention also to the CRLs in order to prevent logins from hosts with revoked certificates.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

Do the machines already have certificates from a private CA?

If the machines have their certificates deployed you can configure the RADIUS policy, Identity source to check against Trusted CA(s) "Accepts all the valid client certificates signed by one of the trusted CAs." as shown here. This option may not be available if you are running an old firmware version.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
The_Nude_Deer

(logged me into this forum on the wrong account!)

The Machines are in AD, they do have a cert from a internal CA yes, I looked this up yesterday with a colleague, I have imported that Root CA to the FAC, which already has a LDAP connection, so, is that it? the machine will present the cert , its trusted by the FAC and so it allows authentication to the SSID? the cookbook makes it a lot more convoluted than this?

ebilcari

Yes, it doesn't have to be that difficult :) the cookbook is a bit old. You have to pay attention also to the CRLs in order to prevent logins from hosts with revoked certificates.

- Emirjon
ebilcari

You can also refer to this section of the guide that it seems updated and cover the necessary steps in detail.

- Emirjon
TheOnlyJames

I assume this is exactly the same for using User cert? I don't need to add VLAN as its a tunnelled SSID with its own DHCP and VLAN...

ebilcari

If you choose to use Certificate bindings, the LDAP configurations and Realm will be different. In case of Trusted CA(s), only the certificate will be checked so same RADIUS policy can be applied:

bindings.PNG

- Emirjon
TheOnlyJames

Not sure I understand now, what bindings? you said as long as I have the root CA cert on the FAC it will trust what is presented from the user? wether its a machine cert or a user cert?

ebilcari

As shown in the picture above you have two options, if you choose the 2nd option "Trusted CA(s)" and select the private root CA as trusted CA, FAC will allow the authentication (user or machine) without trying to bind it to a LDAP entry.

- Emirjon
TheOnlyJames

Ah! OK, problem is, I don't have that screen on identity sources, on the policy, I just have the option to pick a realm and nothing there like your screen

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors