Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
slartibartfast
New Contributor II

Why is Forticlient 6.0 so difficult to uninstall?

I had Forticlient 6.0 installed in a Windows 10 VM for test purposes. (This is the VPN-only client without the other functions.) However after attempting to uninstall the program via "Programs & Features" it was still there despite no error messages from the uninstaller.

Additionally, the option to exit in the Forticlient system tray icon was greyed out. (Online instructions for uninstalling typically start with "Exit the Forticlient system tray icon".) Attempting to stop Forticlient processes with Task Manager resulted in the stopped processes automatically restarting. The Forticlient scheduler service could not be stopped through the Services panel. The IObit uninstaller was unable to uninstall it. (Removed it from "Programs & Features" but Forticlient was in fact still installed and running.) This thing is like a virus!

Finally the only way I was able to delete Forticlient was to reboot Windows into Safe Mode, delete the program files, and delete the Fortinet scheduler service using the command line. Of course this is leaving a lot of cruft in the registry and probably other places in the system.

Although this appears to have worked I hate to take that kind of sledgehammer approach - for future reference what is the best way to uninstall Forticlient when the built-in uninstaller doesn't do the job?

10 REPLIES 10
simonchampagne

this help, take note that you dont need to be on safemode, i just use the tool in admin, restart the pc and eveything work fine.

i was then able to install the new application

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors