Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Bold_Eagle
New Contributor

Web Filter still allowing traffic?

I have a webfilter active with some URL's

URL                         Type        Action  Status

*.123.domain1.com  Wildcard  Allow    Enable

*.123.domain2.com  Wildcard  Allow    Enable

*.123.domain3.com  Wildcard  Allow    Enable

*.*                          Wildcard  Block    Enable

If i do a telnet>   telnet www.xyzdomain.com 443

In my opinion this should be blocked, but it shows:

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request                                                                                             

Server: nginx/1.17.7                                                                                                   

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 14:19:24 GMT                                                                                     

Content-Type: text/html                                                                                                 

Content-Length: 157                                                                                                     

Connection: close                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

<html> <head><title>400 Bad Request</title></head>                                                                             

<body>                                                                                                                 

<center><h1>400 Bad Request</h1></center>                                                                               

<hr><center>nginx/1.17.7</center>                                                                                       

</body>                                                                                                                 

</html>

Does this expose a security risk for PC contacting a Malware site.

Regards,

Henk

4 REPLIES 4
Yurisk
Valued Contributor

Your test is not good for this - URL Filtering looks at URLs in a valid browser<->web server connection, your telnet session cannot emulate this and will be closed (as you see in the output) by the web server as invalid. To verify, try browse to the domain.

Also make sure you don't have other rules that would allow outbound access to port 443 without Web Filtering applied.

Yuri https://yurisk.info/  blog: All things Fortinet, no ads.
Yuri https://yurisk.info/ blog: All things Fortinet, no ads.
Bold_Eagle

Hello Yurisk,

Yurisk wrote:

Your test is not good for this - URL Filtering looks at URLs in a valid browser<->web server connection, your telnet session cannot emulate this and will be closed (as you see in the output) by the web server as invalid. To verify, try

browse to the domain.

Bold Eagle: 

I know, but what if my system was infected with malware, and the website has code injected for this malware and will react on the malware request, then it is still not blocked by the Fortigate Webfilter. Or is this technically impossible?

Also make sure you don't have other rules that would allow outbound access to port 443 without Web Filtering applied.

Bold Eagle: no other rules with port 443 exist.

Yurisk
Valued Contributor

BTW The last rule in your URL FIlter should have action Block not Allow which makes URL filter to permit Any website.

Regarding the broader question of how to prevent potentially present in LAN malware to contact outside world, it is too broad of a question as this depends on malware, whether you are using Deep SSL inspection, whether you are using AppControl in addition to URL filtering. Or on a totally different side - are you using host based measures like EDR/Endpoint Protection? 

You should formulate for yourself  exact threats you are trying to prevent and do analysis of existing state of your security controls, then you will be able to answer "given this threat with these security measures already in place, what are chances of stopping this malware and what can be done to better those chances?".

Yuri https://yurisk.info/  blog: All things Fortinet, no ads.
Yuri https://yurisk.info/ blog: All things Fortinet, no ads.
Bold_Eagle

Yurisk wrote:

BTW The last rule in your URL FIlter should have action Block not Allow which makes URL filter to permit Any website.

[Bold Eagle]

There was a mistake in my overview, the last is a Block, I've corrected my question.

Regarding the broader question of how to prevent potentially present in LAN malware to contact outside world, it is too broad of a question as this depends on malware, whether you are using Deep SSL inspection, whether you are using AppControl in addition to URL filtering. Or on a totally different side - are you using host based measures like EDR/Endpoint Protection?

[Bold Eagle]

We also have Symantec SEP/SES in place as Endpoint protection, so we have several layers of safety nets.

You should formulate for yourself  exact threats you are trying to prevent and do analysis of existing state of your security controls, then you will be able to answer "given this threat with these security measures already in place, what are chances of stopping this malware and what can be done to better those chances?".

[Bold Eagle]

Clear, thanks for your explanation.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors