Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
pbarbieri
Contributor

VIP NAT

Hi,

I have to Source NAT two  voip phones connected by a LAN (A_LAN) with a Fortinet 600D firewall port to speak with a Call Manager and viceversa. I have create a VIP definition and a policy for it. After NAT process the packets sent by phones will address some GRE tunnels. I would like to know if the syntax is ok or in the VIP definition I have to add "set nat-source-vip enable" in the VIP definition or further policies in the firewall policy or use IP pools

---------------

VIP definition

---------------

edit "A_VOIP_PHONE_1"

set uuid 329a7a02-a3db-51ea-a515-68fab7d1ce5f

set extip 10.1.180.171

set mappedip "10.18.1.171"

set extintf "any"

next

edit "A_VOIP_PHONE_2"

set uuid 329ad952-a3db-51ea-dea5-7de08db5ef41

set extip 10.1.180.172

set mappedip "10.18.1.172"

set extintf "any"

next

----------------

Policy Definition

----------------

edit 3

set name "A_AD_VOIP"

set srcintf "A_LAN"

set dstintf "GRE-AD-211" "GRE-AD-213"

set srcaddr "A_VOIP_PHONE_1" "A_VOIP_PHONE_2"

set dstaddr "A_CALL_MANAGER"

set action accept

set schedule "always"

set service "SIP" "A_RTP"

set nat enable

next

thanks

1 Solution
gfleming

Well for Source NAT, yes you would use policy ID 3 to configure the appropriate NAT settings (Likely dynamic one-to-one SNAT).

If you have a policy for traffic coming from the CallManager and you need to reach the phones (i.e. not just return traffic that was initiated by the phones) then you also need to do DNAT. This is where VIPs come into play.

See here for more info: https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.0.6/administration-guide/510402/static-virtual-ips

May I ask one question? Why do you need to use NAT here? Why can you not just route the packets directly to/from the phones?

Cheers,
Graham

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
gfleming
Staff
Staff

For source NAT you do not need to configure VIPs. Just set the NAT configuration in the Firewall policy for Source NAT.

Some more info:

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.0.6/administration-guide/29961/dynamic-snat

Cheers,
Graham
pbarbieri

Thanks for your support Graham!,

does this mean that can use the policy created with GRE tunnels in case modify them (I have two, one for each direction see in the example one of them), or create further policies ? 

gfleming

Well for Source NAT, yes you would use policy ID 3 to configure the appropriate NAT settings (Likely dynamic one-to-one SNAT).

If you have a policy for traffic coming from the CallManager and you need to reach the phones (i.e. not just return traffic that was initiated by the phones) then you also need to do DNAT. This is where VIPs come into play.

See here for more info: https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.0.6/administration-guide/510402/static-virtual-ips

May I ask one question? Why do you need to use NAT here? Why can you not just route the packets directly to/from the phones?

Cheers,
Graham
pbarbieri

Great Graham, thank you very much! 

to reply to your question the phones are in a subnet different from the call manager subnet and call manager want to see only phone source IP coherent with its subnet . I accept your reply cheers, thx for your support!

gfleming

Hi you are most welcome—always happy to help. However, based on your response, in this case I do not think you need NAT here. Are you sure you need NAT?

I have managed many CallManager deployments in the past and never needed to use NAT for phone communications.

Cheers,
Graham
pbarbieri

Graham to reply to your question source NAT is required because we interface another function that check the source address to receive the packet and they wish that we translate the our local packet source addresses to the packet source addresses they require 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors