Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
pjassogc
New Contributor

Ubuntu 23.10 and Forticlient VPN

Hello, I have a computer with UBUNTU 23.10.
I have Forticlient VPN installed.
Since the pc update, I can't connect to my VPN.
I have all the files installed: libappindicator1, libgconfig-2-4, ... 

I already searched the forums and downloaded other files. But forticlient keeps "connecting", without being able to actually connect.

On Windows it asks me to accept the certificate and then my token. On Ubuntu, nothing...

Captura desde 2024-02-09 13-35-26.png

What can I do??

3 REPLIES 3
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello pjassogc,

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
Markus_M
Staff
Staff

Hi pjassogc,

first things first:

On Windows it asks me to accept the certificate

This should not happen. That indicates that the FortiGate is supplying a certificate to secure the connection, where the client is not trusting it. So you get the warning about it.

Normally such a warning is to be considered serious as it should never appear. If an attacker somehow gets hold of your connection, supplies an invalid certificate since this is required, the warning would then tell you that and make you vary to continue. If the warning is just accepted anyway, an attacker may have passed the first hurdle.

So see with the FortiGate administrator to supply a valid certificate and trusted certificate chain to avoid the warning. The FortiClient on Linux might then also start working.

If not, then debug on the FortiGate may tell more:

diag debug console timestamp enable
diag debug app fnbamd -1
diag debug app sslvpn -1
diag debug enable

You might also test other FortiClient versions, you did not specify any version here. I'm running latest 7.2.3 on a Linux Mint, latest version with SSLVPN and no certificate warnings and it works just fine.

For technical understanding of certificates, we'd written an article about this:
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-TLS-and-the-use-of-Digital-Certificates/ta...

Best regards,

Markus

pjassogc
New Contributor

Thanks for the answer!

I'll check the windows pc later with the administrator... 

In ubuntu, I'm using the latest version of Forticlient VPN 7.2.3; however I've also tried the previous version. In this case, the connection stars, but disconnects quickly: 1 or 2 seconds...

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors