Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jshanks
New Contributor

Transparent Mode VDOM with no Management IP Address

Working with a FortiGate 70F with firmware v7.0.12 build0523

I've read the documentation, and looked at all of the examples of transparent mode configuration and they all say a management IP address is needed.  But, I can't access either side of that particular VDOM from any station from which I manage my firewalls.   So the question is:

Is a management IP address required for a VDOM transparent mode when there's no way to manage the unit from that particular VDOM?   I have another VDOM on the firewall that I use for management, configuration and VPN.

2 REPLIES 2
srajeswaran
Staff
Staff

We cannot apply the configuration without the management IP, I understand that you will not be able to manage that VDOM from that VDOM, but is there any challenge in configuring a random IP as manageip ? We can use the other VDOM to manage this VDOM (you just need to be an admin for both VDOMS)

FGT-02 # config vdom

FGT-02 (vdom) # edit T-VDOM
current vf=T-VDOM:3

FGT-02 (T-VDOM) # config system settings

FGT-02 (settings) # set opmode transparent

FGT-02 (settings) # set status enable

FGT-02 (settings) # end
node_check_object fail! for manageip
Attribute 'manageip' MUST be set.
Command fail. Return code -651

FGT-02 (T-VDOM) # config system settings
FGT-02 (settings) # set opmode transparent
FGT-02 (settings) # set status enable
FGT-02 (settings) # set manageip 8.8.8.8/24
FGT-02 (settings) # end
Changing to TP mode

FGT-02 (T-VDOM) # end

FGT-02 # config vdom
FGT-02 (vdom) # edit
<vdom> Virtual Domain Name
T-VDOM
root
FGT-02 (vdom) #

Note: I have not tested this, but I don't see any challenges as such other than you cannot manage the VDOM directly and you need to get access to the VDOM via the other VDOMs.

Regards,

Suraj

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

jshanks
New Contributor

The only issue in adding the management IP is that I don't have any IP addresses available in the range that I have to use.   I did just put in a dummy IP address, outside of the range, and It worked for configuration purposes, but it seems wrong to me.   In any case, it is working.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors