Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Ambush4261
New Contributor II

Traffic Shaping outbandwidth Speedtest

Hello,

Context : I have internet connexion where upload varies according to the time of day. I use an Outbound shaping profile to manage my connexion with the Outbound bandwidth. The upload speed can burst to max the double of the normal speed.

I would like to know if it is possible to fill up the "Outbound bandwidth" using the SpeedTest functionality of the Fortigate, using a schedule. I saw the documentation here (https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-How-to-set-a-scheduled-speed-test-for-a-SD...) but I am mot sur that this will populate the "Outbound bandwidth" in the Traffic Shaping setup of my wanx.

Thanks for your support,

D.

4 REPLIES 4
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @Ambush4261,

I don't think the schedule speed test will update the traffic shaping bandwidth. 

Regards,

CatInHat
New Contributor III

The speed testing functionality on FortiGate allows you to measure the speed of your Internet connection, but it does not affect outbound bandwidth management through the traffic shaping profile.
To control the outgoing band, you need to configure the appropriate settings for this profile, including setting the maximum speed, latency and other parameters, depending on your needs.
The speed test mentioned in your link is useful for monitoring the current speed of your internet connection, but is not a tool for managing outgoing bandwidth.

Ambush4261
New Contributor II

it would be great to be able to update the outbound speed of the interface shaping profile to make it dynamic...

Ambush4261
New Contributor II

In this article it says :

"Using speed test results with traffic shaping

The interface speed test can be used to populate the bandwidth values based on the results."

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.4.2/administration-guide/502873/speed-test-usage

Is it possible to use Automation and a script with trigger and action to get the value from the field "measured-upstream-bandwidth" to automaticly populate "outbandwidth", for example, every 15min.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors