Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
plejon
New Contributor

SSL vpn -> AD dhcp entry

Been wondering how to sole an issue regarding dhcp entrys on Microsoft AD.

For the AD to be able to speak to hosts it needs an DHCP entry to map the host to an ip.

This not done while using the SSL vpn since connecting clients are given an IP from the SSL vpn ip pool.

The connecting hosts can speak to the AD, but not the other way around.

Just wondering if there's any way to solve this. Or is it something that has to be changed on AD?

5 REPLIES 5
gschmitt
Valued Contributor

plejon wrote:

For the AD to be able to speak to hosts it needs an DHCP entry to map the host to an ip.

The AD doesn't map IP addresses

The IP>Hostname mapping comes from the DNS server

What are you trying to accomplish with this?

plejon

Hi, thanks for your answer.

I'm not all that into Microsoft. I'm just a network dude.

I was told by the internal It tech guy that he need a dhcp querry for the dns to mapp hosts to the AD or domain controller.

i think dns, dhcp, ad and so on is on the same hosts.

But what he said what that the AD cannot speak with SSL clients because he does not have a dns host for them. because they are not given an IP from the internal server.

gschmitt
Valued Contributor

plejon wrote:

I was told by the internal It tech guy that he need a dhcp querry for the dns to mapp hosts to the AD or domain controller.

i think dns, dhcp, ad and so on is on the same hosts.

But what he said what that the AD cannot speak with SSL clients because he does not have a dns host for them. because they are not given an IP from the internal server.

Try this first:

Create a new policy

Source Interface: internal (or where your DC is located)

Source Address: your DC, DNS

Destination Interface: ssl.root

destination address: SSLVPN_TUNNEL_ADDR1 (your IP Range)

Service: all

Action: Accept

gschmitt
Valued Contributor

Just noticed this .... what does your ssl.root -> internal (server) policy look like?

Active Directory requires clients ping the domain controllers in order to pull down GPOs. They use ping to determine the "closest" controller and if none respond, then it is assumed that none are close enough. So the policy update doesn't happen.

Allow Ping

plejon

Hi!

atm i'm allowing all traffic. this wont be in production until November.

But i think this might not be my problem, luckily.

but i shall test and see with if i can get something from the microsoft boys at my company.

i'll let you know when i knwo more. thanks for your input :)

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors