Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Jason1683416
New Contributor

SSL VPN with certificate authentication

Hi,

I am currently testing SSL VPN multi-factor authentication. Since we already have PKI and smart cards running in the Microsoft AD environment, I followed the steps in the guide:

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.0.1/administration-guide/266506/ssl-vpn-with-certific...

Everything executed smoothly, but I noticed a peculiar authentication mechanism. Fortigate's certificate multi-factor authentication matches if the account subject string on Fortigate matches part of the information in the certificate subject. I believe this is not a secure and rigorous matching method. The PKI user's subject should fully match the certificate subject.

It can be observed that test3-jason was initially matched by jason's subject, leading to subsequent authentication failure.
  1. How can I avoid the following situation?
  2. Additionally, can Fortigate's certificate authentication authenticate the subject alternative name in the certificate?

FortiGate  

The following is the verification process:

[366] peer_subject_cn_check-Cert subject 'CN = test3-jason'

[294] __RDN_match-Checking 'CN' val 'jason' -- match.

[324] __cert_subject_RDN_compare-Total matched RDNs in cert: 1

[391] peer_subject_cn_check-Subject is good.

[497] __check_add_peer-'jason' check ret:good

[612] __peer_user_clear_unmatched-Clear all user(s) other than 'jason'

[631] __peer_user_clear_unmatched-

[191] __get_default_ocsp_ctx-def_ocsp_ctx=(nil), no_ocsp_query=0, ocsp_enabled=0

[738] fnbamd_cert_check_group_list-Peer users

[741] fnbamd_cert_check_group_list-    'jason' ('N/A','N/A')

[867] __cert_verify_do_next-req_id=127465600

[99] __cert_chg_st- 'Validation' -> 'Done'

螢幕擷取畫面 2024-06-17 221848.png

3 REPLIES 3
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Jason,

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi Jason

Which version is your FortiOS?

AEK
AEK
nikotgi
New Contributor

Honestly though these things run a bit smoother through oauth or the like tokens SAML etc. Plus using 2FA actually makes it secure... A public cert or say user cert issued via AD LDAP isn't exactly all that hard to snag https://routerlogin.uno/ .

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors