Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
comas17
New Contributor

SSL VPN split tunneling route

Hi all I have a Fortigate 60C (firmware v4.0,build5849,110804 (MR2)) and I have configured SSL VPN connections using tunnel mode Everything is working but when I connect to my VPN from remote I can only use VPN connection and I cannot navigate to other addresses or websites I was thinking it was a " split tunneling" problem but in the user guide I found " Split tunneling is enabled by default. When enabled, only traffic that requires the SSL VPN is sent through the tunnel. Other traffic follows the user’s regular routing." I have 2 static routes configured: Destination IP/Mask: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 Device: wan1 Gateway: gateway IP that our ISP gave us Destination IP/Mask: 192.168.120.0/255.255.255.0 (it is my SSL_VPN_TUNNEL_ADDRESS) Device: ssl.root Gateway: 0.0.0.0 (greyed) Does this mean that I have to create some other route ? Thank you Corrado
5 REPLIES 5
Fullmoon
Contributor III

how about creating a policy from ssl.root to Internet? example: source int=ssl root src add=ssl vpn net work add dst int=interface facing your ISP dst add=all NAT enabled connect again to ssl vpn and try to browse any sites

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
comas17
New Contributor

Hi Fullmoon thank you for your reply I tried to create a policy from ssl.root to Internet and it' s working but all the traffic now goes through my office ADSL connection (also the internet browsing traffic) If I' m connecting to my office from my home I want to use SSL VPN connection to my office and (at the same time) my " home ADSL connection" for internet browsing etc Is it possible ? which configuration or new policy is necessary to do ? Thank you Corrado
Fullmoon

how about playing the ' split tunneling" option? Split Tunneling Select to enable split tunneling. When enabled, only traffic that requires the SSL VPN is sent through the tunnel. Other traffic follows the user’s regular routing. When split tunneling is disabled, all of the user’s traffic with other networks passes through the tunnel. This does not affect traffic between the user’s computer and hosts on the local network. For enhanced security, some administrators prefer to force all traffic through the SSL VPN tunnel, including traffic between the user and the user’s local network. To do this, use the CLI tunnel mode settings to enable exclusive-routing. ----->taken from fortinet admin guide

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
comas17
New Contributor

Yes, I' ve seen this option As you can read in my first post " Split tunneling is enabled by default. When enabled, only traffic that requires the SSL VPN is sent through the tunnel. Other traffic follows the user’s regular routing" I did not change the default configuration so I think that split tunneling is enabled, but it is not working as I want There is some other configuration to do ? How can I check (using CLI) if it is enabled or disabled ? Thank you
g3rman
New Contributor

Check here to see if split tunneling is enabled for sure: VPN -> SSL -> Portal -> full-access (or whatever your user gets assigned to) Click the edit/pencil icon on the " Tunnel Mode" section. Check to make sure that " Split Tunneling" is checked. Alternatively you can look in the CLI: # show vpn ssl web portal and look for config widget edit 1 set split-tunneling enable .... ....
A Real World Fortinet Guide Configuration Examples & Frequently Asked Questions http://firewallguru.blogspot.com
A Real World Fortinet Guide Configuration Examples & Frequently Asked Questions http://firewallguru.blogspot.com
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors