Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
scheuri
New Contributor III

Routing (BGP) of location with two active VPNs to hubs that exchange routing info

Hi all

This might be an odd question and I might just be too dense to see the solution. It is not excactly a Fortinet specific question (its about BGP, routing) - however, since it is realised with Fortigates, I thought I might ask here as well

The situation is as follows:

• I have >20 locations in a country which has two "country" hubs.

• Every location has an active ipsec tunnel to each of the hubs (meaning: two active vpn connections)

• One tunnel will be considered "primary" handling all the traffic, the other will considered "seconday" and should only handle traffic when the primary is down.

• The choice of primary and secondary tunnel or hub is made on location basis (meaning both hubs have primary and secondary connections)

• With every ipsec tunnel they propagate their network to the hub(s).

• So every hub has the information of each connected location

• The hubs are also connected with each other

• The hubs act as route reflector

• The hubs also have connections to other countries and propagate the learned networks from the locations to those countries (and vice versa).

Now - how can I make sure that the traffic only goes via the primary ipsec tunnel (unless down and the secondary takes over) when everyone learns every route/network via both tunnels?
How can I avoide an asynchrounous routing? (I guess that will happen at some point if I do nothing).

Thanks a lot for your input

3 REPLIES 3
Stephan_s
New Contributor III

Hi,

could this maybe be done by using administrative distance?

best

stephan

Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

No. Admin distances are per protocol. like eBGP=20, iBGP=200, etc.
There are two directions you have to take care of. Most commonly used methods are below:

- For hub-advertised routes, you can set different local-preferences per neighbor (two hubs) so that the remote router(FGT) prefers the primary path.

- For remote-router-advertised routes, you need to set a metric that can be passed to neighbors per neighbor so that two hubs can negotiate/exchange info which route to take to get to the remote router. The most common metric for this purpose is community. So like community=1 for primary and community=2 for secondary when the remote advertises.
Then both hubs set local-preferences based on the community attached to each route to prefer community 1 routes.

This is not unique to FGTs. So you can find many materials on-line or books how to use community in BGP available.

Toshi

scheuri
New Contributor III

Thank you very much for your reply. I will look into communities and preferences for said communities. Much appreciated.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors