Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
fred339
Contributor

Removing hardware switch while one Member is the only connected LAN interface

It seems like this *must be* a common situation:

We start setting up a Fortigate and assign a LAN address to an internal interface that's a member of the hadrdware switch.  An internal interface such as internal1.

We decide we don't want or need a switch inside the Fortigate and want to remove all the internal interfaces from it.

But, in the process, we lose our LAN connection.

If we are accessing the Fortigate remotely, then we have to do something to restore the LAN connection.

(There is no DHCP).

Is there a good procedure for doing this?  If so, where?  

Or, can someone please provide the steps needed so that the LAN connection remains without interruption?

Fred Marshall
Fred Marshall
12 REPLIES 12
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't think there is any way to swap "internal" hard-switch interface to an individual interface like "internal1" without any interruption to LAN connections if it's already in production/service. The internal interface config needs to be moved only internal1, which can be done only after you remove it from internal. So either you have to step by step:

1. remove IP config from internal

2. remove internal1 from "config sys virtual-switch"->"edit internal"

3. configure the same IP on internal1

Or download the config file, make those changes on the file, then restore/upload the config file and wait the FGT to reboot with the new config.

Removing the "internal" hard-switch completely can be done any time afterward.

Toshi

fred339

Thank you!

This system is being configured - not yet in production.  

This system is connected to the production LAN and is accessed using an on-site computer which I'm accessing remotely.  Physical access is inconvenient.

The Console interface is available.  So, at least some interim CLI-based configuration could be done.  My limitation right now is knowing how to do each thing that's needed.

It can also be configured to be accessed via a WAN connection.  Perhaps that's my best approach so I can use the GUI.  But, if you might list the few commands needed with the CLI, that would be appreciated.

Fred Marshall
Fred Marshall
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Then I would recommend SSH to get in remotely then go through below commands.

- config sys int ->edit internal -> show, then save it to a txt editor to refer later

- config sys virtual-switch -> show, to see how the config is structured
   and inside it, config port-> delete internal1 or whatever you want to remove, then end

- config sys int -> edit internal1 and configure the IP and other necessary part from the internal config you have.

Toshi

fred339
Contributor

Right.  Thank you!!
I have it done now.  But for others, this won't remove the switch, only the internal1 interface.  And, the switch will need to have 2 remaining interfaces in order to delete internal1.

To remove the switch (and the 2+ interfaces from within it) I believe this does it:

config sys virtual-switch

edit internal

end

delete internal

Fred Marshall
Fred Marshall
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Should be only one needs to be there. Try creating a new one with only one physical interface. You should be able to create it.

Toshi

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I guess I just repeated what you said. You have to have 2, including the removing one. I meant only 1 needed after you removed the one.
Or, you could have removed the internal hard-switch first after confirming it was not referred by any other parts of config by like "show | grep -f internal". Then configure internal1 or whatever you want to use.

Toshi

fred339
Contributor

Well, somewhere I'd thought I'd both read and experienced the need for 2.  Maybe that's no longer the case.  I was able to test it and confirm what you said here.  
Thank you!!  That makes things easier.

Fred Marshall
Fred Marshall
fred339
Contributor

Toshi_Esumi: Thank you!

Fred Marshall
Fred Marshall
esec
New Contributor III

From FortiOS 7 you can have switches with no members, and a good alternative could be to use a CLI script to perfom all changes needed. When you upload and run a CLI script all changes will be runned at the same time and you don´t need to do one line at the time :)

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors