Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
remosito
New Contributor

Question about forticlient licenses that came with my fortigates

Hi everybody,

I have a quick question I wasn't able to find the answer to. We just bought two fortigate 60Es. One for our HQ and one for our branch office. As far as I understand each fortigate comes with 10 forticlient licenses. Now my question is are they "cumulative"/"transferable" or each pack only valid for that fortigate.

Or in other words:

We won't use the fortigate at the branch office as a forticlient end-point. But only the fortigate at the HQ. Can we use all 20 licenses to connect to the HQ fortigate. Or only the 10 that came with that fortigate?

best regards

2 REPLIES 2
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

This figure is per-Fortigate. But, you can use any amount of FCs to connect to a single FGT VPN gateway. The license is only needed if you want to manage the endpoints - configure, monitor, log data centrally from/to the FGT. Which is a benefit of it's own if you need to enforce corporate security rules onto your endpoints.

For sheer connectivity you can use the free FC, there is - to my knowledge - no low limit on the number of concurrent tunnels. There is one, of course, as the hardware will only sustain a certain amount of encrypted traffic but it's not low. The Maximum Values doc (on docs.fortinet.com) will tell you how many tunnels are supported for your model and firmware version. For a 60E and FOS v5.4.3 you can create ~240 VPN tunnels (but for dialup you only need one) so a couple of dozens would certainly work.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
remosito

Thank you kindly for the reply.

We might want to use managed endpoints for a small subset (<10) of our FC users. So should be totally fine :)

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors