Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sebastianesntrom
New Contributor

Question about Fortigate license

Hi. 

We have a customer that is currently using a heavier license for Fortigate (IPS, WebFilter, Antivirus etc) and want to downgrade to just a basic license with firmware and support.
They have a VPN solution with EMS today.
My question is, if they downgrade the Fortigate license, is this going to affect VPN in any way?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
ozkanaltas
Contributor III

Hello @sebastianesntrom ,

Fortigate vpn feature no need to license. Fortigate just needs a license for Security Features(AV, IPS, Web Filter, App Control) and support. 

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
sebastianesntrom

Hi. 
Thank you. 

Maybe I need to be more specifik. 
The customer have a FortiClient EMS license now for 200 endpoints and a Fortigate license with the features I mentioned before. If we downgrade the fortigate license to a more basic one, will this affect the VPN license we have in any way?
My wild guess is no, but seeing we have over 250 clients using this VPN we need to know for sure.

Kind regards

ozkanaltas

Hello @sebastianesntrom ,

EMS and Fortigate Licenses are different. 

If you downgrade your FortiGate license, you can still use the ssl-vpn feature on FortiGate. 

But if you want to use, for example, host check,ztna, av, app control, web filter, etc. features with your client you need to buy a FortiClientEMS license. This license does not affect you using vpn feature on Fortigate. 

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
AlexC-FTNT
Staff
Staff

If you need a second answer to make it more clear, the answer is no! 

There is no connection between the VPN connections and the licensed security features. So the VPN will not be affected.

- Toss a 'Like' to your fixxer, oh Valley of Plenty! and chose the solution, too00oo -
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors