Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
safuan
New Contributor

Public Ip on device.

Hi guys,

I would like to ask if someone can guide me to configure a public ip on a server behind fortinet and it can communicate to & from the internet.

Is it possible?

Our company subscribe an internet with PPPOE authentication and get 5 public IP. Virtual IP can help mapping the public ip to the private ip but we are looking for a solution that make the server directly expose to the internet.

Much appreciated for your help

Thanks.

1 Solution
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Um, oh, I would not do that, assign public IP addresses to your LAN...

It's much easier:

Put a small switch between the router (or the WAN line) and the Fortigate, then connect the server to the switch. This way, both the FGT and the server are in the same subnet on the WAN side. Assign a public IP to the server's network card.

This assumes that the WAN line provides access without dailing in, like PPPoE or such. If your line needs PPPoE the VIP is the way to go.

Which leads me to the question: why would you not use a VIP? If you define it "non port-translating" all and every traffic is handed through.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
3 REPLIES 3
drak
New Contributor III

You can configure your LAN with your public range, just keep in mind that the WAN interface subnet must be different.

It would be something along the lines of:

Internet -- (173.x.y.z/30 - WAN if) -- FGT -- ( 173.a.b.c/29 LAN if)

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Um, oh, I would not do that, assign public IP addresses to your LAN...

It's much easier:

Put a small switch between the router (or the WAN line) and the Fortigate, then connect the server to the switch. This way, both the FGT and the server are in the same subnet on the WAN side. Assign a public IP to the server's network card.

This assumes that the WAN line provides access without dailing in, like PPPoE or such. If your line needs PPPoE the VIP is the way to go.

Which leads me to the question: why would you not use a VIP? If you define it "non port-translating" all and every traffic is handed through.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
safuan

Thanks drak and ede for the post.

It happened because one of the vendor insisted their device to be configured with public ip as they claim the connection much more stable when the server directly connected using public ip. So now we are end up using the VIP solution.

Thanks

Safuan. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors