Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
retiarius
Visitor

PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR web surfing after #FG500E sw upgrade

Hello,

I have two FG 500E in HA configuration.

I just did a sw upgrade on them which seems to have been completed successfully.

The previus version was 7.4.2 and the current is 7.4.5 build 2702.

Now I cannot access most of websites because I get the error: PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR.

The network is working and by excluding the fortigate from the path I can regain the access to the websites.

Many thanks for any help.

2 REPLIES 2
Raghu_Kumar
Staff
Staff

Hello,

Thank you for the details provided. The error PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR typically indicates that connections are being reset, which can happen if SSL inspection or certificate handling has changed after the upgrade.

Here are a few steps to troubleshoot:

1. SSL/Deep Packet Inspection:
    • Check if SSL deep inspection is enabled on the firewall policies. Sometimes after an upgrade, SSL inspection profiles might change or require reconfiguration.
    • If SSL inspection is enabled, try switching to certificate inspection temporarily and see if the issue resolves.

1. Certificates:
    • Ensure that the FortiGate's CA certificate is trusted by the client browsers. If not, try re-importing the CA certificate into the clients' trusted certificate store.

1. Review Logs:
    • Review the logs on the FortiGate for any blocked sessions or reset connections. This will give insights into whether any policies are dropping or resetting the traffic.

1. AV/IPS Profiles:
    • Check if there are any security profiles (AV, IPS) that might be causing traffic to be reset post-upgrade. You can disable these temporarily to isolate the issue.

If the problem persists, please can call us at the support line and create a ticket, "http://www.fortinet.com/support/contact_support.html"(Select your country from the link to see the regional support number), if you require immediate assistance and quote this ticket number or update this ticket.

Thanks,

Raghuram Kumar
retiarius

Thank you Raghuram for your quick asnwer,

about SSL/Deep Packet Inspection:

I switched to simple certificate inspection, but nothing changes;

about certificates:

I'm not sure, my fortigates hold a long list of valid certificates. Strangely, the web interface seems to use a self-signed certificate. However, we cannot install a certificate in each client browser because we have too many users and browsers. 

Before the update, the above described problem did not exist.

about review logs:

In the Traffic domain, Log & Report, Security Events, SSL, there are a lot  of entries of with action "blocked". No log entries regarding antivirus or intrusion prevention.

These FG500E make a virtual wire pair, so I can easily exclude them from  the network path, but each test requires two network outages with no web browsing in between until a solution is found.

Can you suggest something else to try?

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors