Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
DMN
New Contributor

PPPoE vs Direct IP

Hi all - currently running the Fortigate 100C using a PPPoE connection and my ISP has advised me that I need to change to a Direct IP connection. The new IP' s are pointing to the 110C but for the life of me I cannot get it to work so have to revert back to my old config [PPPoE] - any tips/recommendations would be most welcome :)
4 REPLIES 4
veechee
New Contributor

Just a guess: With PPPoE, your routing table was updated automatically with the route, whereas with a static IP direct, you need to make an entry in your routing table.
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

What do you mean doesn' t work? Functional wise they are both L3 addressed interfaces. What diagnostic did you do? Is your problem that of your address? next-hop L3? Subnet mask? fwiw: you should literally be able to convert interface to static ip_address and change the address and next-hop gateway and be in business. You probably don' t have to touch one single fwpoliciy, but be advise of any thing nailed to the interface like sslvpn,ipsec-vpn, allowaccess, etc........

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ZackFord
New Contributor

Veechee has the right idea. The interface settings for PPPoE have a checkbox to automatically detect gateway settings, which gets added to the routing table. You need to add a default route for the static IP. CLI will look like this: config router static edit 0 set device " wan1" set gateway " gateway from isp goes here" next end
FCNSA/FCNSP
FCNSA/FCNSP
DMN
New Contributor

Hi all - apologies for slow reply but you were all correct - I gave it the new IP (and few virtuals) rebooted the box and it connected but the piece of info I was missing the static route so in it went and bingo it all worked so BIG thankyou to all :)
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors