Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
3pointD
New Contributor

Outlook Unable to Receive POP3 Messages

All, I' ve ran into this situation once before (outlook 2013/Pop3) but eventually the issue went away either with updates or some other unknown reason. I have W7 with Outlook 2007 client running a POP3 account. Sometimes when Forticlient is enabled POP3 mail does not connect. If I reboot the machine everything works normally but eventually POP3 mail will stop connecting. I can disable Forticlient and everything works normally until Forticlient is enabled again. I' ve tried adjusting the comforting settings in the Forticlient config. This did nothing to resolve the issue. Any ideas? Anyone run into this issue? Thanks
18 REPLIES 18
jorge9090
New Contributor

If Outlook is working fine and suddenly it stops working, maybe there' s a problem with the Forticlient. Try to upgrade to the latest version. If the problem persist i suggest opening a support ticket with Fortinet.
Istvan_Takacs_FTNT

Is there anything in the POP3 mailbox that the Forticlient wants to scan? After you disabled Forticlient and downloaded the emails, did you find any unusual attachement (large ones or one that compressed multiple times, etc.) that the Forticlient AV scanner would find difficult to check? What I can imagine is that the virus scanner kicks in but unable to scan, or just takes long time to scan mail attachments and that' s cases the trouble. What I would do is to enable debug level logging in File -> Settings -> Logging just after I ran into this issue, then restart Outlook again and leave it running for a while. Than collect the logs and have a look to see what exactly happened. Also as jorge9090 suggested, just make sure first you are running the latest version of the FortiClient: http://www.forticlient.com/
3pointD
New Contributor

Good points guys. The FortiClient is a recent install so It' s fully up to date but the attachment argument has me intrigued because the two instances I' ve encountered this is with people who I know receive allot of attachments. Specifically PDFs. I will work with the logs and see what I can turn up. Thanks!
3pointD
New Contributor

I' m still having this issue with two workstations. FortiClient 5.2.0605 Windows 7 32bit Outlook 2007 Forticlient 5.2.0605 Windows 7 64bit Outlook 2013 I turned on debug log and didn' t see anything come through relevant to this. If I go into the forticlient config and set <pop3>0</pop3> the emails come down no problem. Any ideas? Anyone run into this before?
3pointD
New Contributor

Basically it seems the proxy is causing this. For starters at the beginning of the POP3 session it sends invalid information to the POP server. " FCCV2" After that the Auth seems to go well and Stats are checked but before any message can be downloaded to the client the client disconnects and indicates the server responded with (0x800ccc90). This only happens if there is a least 1 message waiting to be downloaded. If there are no new messages the client doesn' t show an error. I' ve adjusted client comforting for both POP3 client and server to no avail. From the POP3 logs on my server the client initiates the disconnect. There is nothing showing up in the FC debug log that relates to this. I' m stumped. Right now I' m just running these systems with the proxy disabled.
Chris_Lin_FTNT

@3pointD, You' ve dug pretty deep into this issue (thumbup). Hopefully Fortinet can do something about it.
Christopher_McMullan

Could you paste a summary into a ticket, so that TAC can contact you if they need more information to reproduce the issue?

Regards, Chris McMullan Fortinet Ottawa

3pointD

Thanks Christopher - I' m not sure how to do setup a ticket as I don' t have any " purchased" licenses for FortiClient. I do own and have a current license on a FortiWifi 80CM. Is it OK to setup a ticket through that serial number?
Christopher_McMullan

By all means...FortiClient, when used on its own for free, is not eligible for support. However, when it is used for Endpoint Control or a ticket is opened referencing a FortiGate with a valid support contract, we can support it. Quote that unit, and you can open a case.

Regards, Chris McMullan Fortinet Ottawa

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors