Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Sadhi_Jayz
Visitor

Moving from Palo Alto App ID to Fortinet Application Filtering

Hello Fortinet Community,

My customer is transitioning from a Palo Alto firewall to a new FortiGate 401F, which is configured in policy mode. The existing Palo Alto firewall uses rules based on App-IDs, and the following App-IDs are in use:

(adobe-creative-cloud-base; adobe-update; hp-update; ms-update; ms-update-optimization-p2p; windows-push-notifications; xbox-live)

I've configured the FortiGate firewall with equivalent application filters to match these App-IDs from Palo Alto. My question is: will the application filtering rules on the FortiGate function properly without enabling deep inspection (Note:- existing Palo alto firewall is not using decryption (similar to Fortinet deep inspection )).?

Thanks! 

1.png

1 REPLY 1
nweckel
Staff
Staff

Hello @Sadhi_Jayz ,

If you hover the cursor over the application signature, it will provide you further information and will mention if SSL deep inspection is required.

You can also refer to Fortiguard website for more info regarding the application signature.

For example, Adobe.Creative.Cloud_File.Download signature  requires SSL deep inspection

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors