Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
wotik
New Contributor III

Improve GUI memory consumption for FortiGates with 2 GB of RAM or less

Hi

In the FortiOS Release Notes for version 7.2.5 under New features or enhancements, Feature ID 894191 mentions "Improve GUI memory consumption for FortiGates with 2 GB of RAM or less".

At what cost was this accomplished? Anyone have such information?
Because in fact, my RAM consumption dropped by about 15-20% (FGT 60F).

Best Regards,
Wojtek
Best Regards,Wojtek
1 Solution
wotik
New Contributor III

Hi

I guess we didn't fully understand each other ;) Of course, after upgrading to 7.2.5 the RAM consumption decreased. I wanted to know what it cost.
In the meantime, I got a response from support:

Regarding this specific bug ID, the following actions were done to ensure better memory consumption for lower-end models:
- Replaced "malloc" with "mimalloc" in Node.JS, using LD_PRELOAD environment variable to optimize garbage collection performance.
- Added periodical garbage collection to free more memory.
- Fixed memory leak in events-websocket.
- Removed Cache from Report Runner.
- Changed test_nonchroot script to get node version automatically.
- Changed preload_npm_cache script to get node version automatically.
- Upgraded Node.JS from v16.14.2 to v16.20.0.
- Decoupled OpenSSL from Node.JS. Now Node.JS loads shared libssl.so, and libcrypto.so.

As you can see, these actions did not come at a cost of any other feature.

Best Regards,
Wojtek

View solution in original post

Best Regards,Wojtek
2 REPLIES 2
kgeorge
Staff
Staff

Hello Wojtek,

Not good to hear that, the performance pertaining to RAM Consumption is reduced post upgrading to 7.2.5 while it should have been otherwise.

If the issue persists, kindly open a Support Ticket so that TAC Support team can have this investigated further and help you with the fix.

Regards,

Klint

Regards,
Klint George
wotik
New Contributor III

Hi

I guess we didn't fully understand each other ;) Of course, after upgrading to 7.2.5 the RAM consumption decreased. I wanted to know what it cost.
In the meantime, I got a response from support:

Regarding this specific bug ID, the following actions were done to ensure better memory consumption for lower-end models:
- Replaced "malloc" with "mimalloc" in Node.JS, using LD_PRELOAD environment variable to optimize garbage collection performance.
- Added periodical garbage collection to free more memory.
- Fixed memory leak in events-websocket.
- Removed Cache from Report Runner.
- Changed test_nonchroot script to get node version automatically.
- Changed preload_npm_cache script to get node version automatically.
- Upgraded Node.JS from v16.14.2 to v16.20.0.
- Decoupled OpenSSL from Node.JS. Now Node.JS loads shared libssl.so, and libcrypto.so.

As you can see, these actions did not come at a cost of any other feature.

Best Regards,
Wojtek
Best Regards,Wojtek
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors