Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
kliew
New Contributor

How to use " exec telnet"

Can someone please let me know how to use the " exec telnet" CLI command found on FortiOS 3 code ? It asks for a login and password first which I' ve no idea what is that for? Thanks in advance!
6 REPLIES 6
Not applicable

I guess withoit IP it use IP of your Fortigate, so it' s admin and password of admin. Try exec telnet " some_IP" , use IP of your router for example. Generally it' s for testing of communication. You can download CLI reference from Fortinet site (nice night reading)
kliew
New Contributor

Unfortunately the CLI manual only mentions the following useless text: telnet Use telnet client. You can use this tool to test network connectivity. Command syntax execute telnet <telnet_ipv4> <telnet_ipv4> is the address to connect with. Maybe you can never use it to actually login to the remote device, (eg. another firewall, router or unix device listening on Telnet port) or its a bug that was never fixed?
Not applicable

I actually don' t know if it' s suppoused to bring you a Telnet session, but I can tell you I see the comminication - I mean when I execute telnet some-IP, the log on it (on some-IP) shows Telnet incomming. So it works, at least it tries to work.
kliew
New Contributor

Do you know of someone clueful at Fortinet who may know if this really is a bug ? I' m sure if one of their developers can be reached they can quite easily fix it if its a bug, but probably no one was concerned enough to escalate it up their list of many issues to ' fix' ...
Not applicable

I have tried someone, I don' t have answer yet. Have you tried to ask the support?
romanr
Valued Contributor

for me the telnet thing did never really work! but it could a quiet cheap and helpful feature if it was like: exec telnet [ip] [port] ... to test service availibility....
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors