Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
austinmas1987
New Contributor

How to achieve zero packet loss sdwan failover?

Hi guys,

We have a requirement to have a very minimum traffic loss failover in our environment for an broadcast audio system.

We have two Hub sites running ADVPN and multiple spoke sites running ADVPN + iBGP.

We have chosen lowest cost SLA as the criteria so that the best link is chosen based on latency.

These are the settings for the health check and service rules on the spoke side.

config health-check

edit "HUB1_HC"

set server "172.30.255.253"

set update-cascade-interface disable

set update-static-route disable

set sla-fail-log-period 10

set sla-pass-log-period 10

set members 6 4 5 10

config sla

edit 1

set link-cost-factor latency packet-loss

set latency-threshold 500

set packetloss-threshold 10

next

end

config service

edit 3

set name "DC_RULE"

set mode sla

set dst "DC_Network"

set src "all"

config sla

edit "HUB1_HC"

set id 1

next

end

set priority-members 4 5 6 10

next

end

The latency between the spoke and Hub is between 50ms and 100ms.

Default iBGP settings are used.

For testing, we ping an IP in the server network at the Hub from a laptop behind a spoke.

There is a loss of connectivity for around 3-5 seconds when we bring down HUB1-VPN1 and force the traffic to go through HUB1-VPN1-2.

I understand that ping is not the best tool here to test because the real application uses UDP as its an audio broadcast system. At the moment, we don't have a way to test this in a better way.

Could someone please let me know if the settings we have are good to go or can we make the failover even quicker by reducing the timers?

I think the time it takes for the fail over is not even dependent on these timers as currently we just bring down WAN-1 by unplugging the interface which I think just flushes all routes through WAN-1.

In this case, is it normal to still have around 2-3 ping drops before WAN-2 takes over?

Appreciate any guidance on this. thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
hokinno2
Visitor

This is one of the many intended use cases for SD-WAN features on FortiGate (you could use link monitor, but I find SD-WAN gives you the same capability- probably because part of SD-WAN is built on it) . So much so that it makes sense to bundle fortiextender in there where a failover circuit isn’t available.

austinmas1987

The backup VPN tunnel is on a FEX.  The SDWAN feature is working as intended but we are looking for ways to improve failover times to have literally less than 0.5 second down time.

Shashwati
Staff
Staff

Hello ,

Please refer to the document to verify holdtime-timer on BGP configuration 

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Configuring-FortiGate-HA-and-BGP-graceful-...

AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Bear in mind even if you reduce all SD-WAN monitoring values to bring the fail over time to few seconds, since the public IP will change then the sessions will need to reset.

AEK
AEK
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors