Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
HS08
New Contributor III

How Application Control Work

Hello,

Yesterday i facing issue where from client not able access to Azure MSSQL, then i found some information from Azure team that deploying MSSQL on azure have 2 kind of connections policy such is :

1. Proxy : With this policy the client only need connect to one single port for MSSQL TCP/1433
  2. Redirect : With this policy, the connection need other port range from 110000 - 11999 beside TCP/1433

The issue yesterday is on our Fortinet application control the MSSQL is already allowed but the client still not able to connect because the MSSQL using redirect mode which is need open port range from 11000-11999.

On the log i also can see there is MSSQL is blocked and also I can see the port used is 11050.

Here i want to know how application can knowing this port 11050 is belong to MSSQL?

4.png

7 REPLIES 7
ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor III

Hello @HS08 ,

Application control is not interested in the application port. It just interested application communication pattern. When I reviewed your logs, this traffic was not blocked by application control. Because control action is just detected not blocked or dropped. 

Can you share the full log with us? This way we can more easily understand why it was blocked.

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
HS08
New Contributor III

i posting the log here twice and my post is disappears. Now the log i paste the log as pic here9.png

ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor III

Hello @HS08 ,

That is interesting. Do you have any other security profile on  IT policy? 

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
HS08
New Contributor III

Here my rule

10.png

ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor III

Hello @HS08 ,

Can you remove all security profiles except app control? After removing it, can you try to access the SQL service? 

HS08
New Contributor III

Still can't access even only have app control in the rule.

ezhupa
Staff
Staff

Hello, 

In Forward Logs you should be able to see the "Security" part of the log. There it should be stated what exactly is blocking the website. 

Hope this helps.
Enea

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors