Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
notrixx
New Contributor II

Fortios 7.0.x memory leak?

After upgrading our Fortigate 600E (two firewalls in HA) first to FortiOS 7.0.4 then later 7.0.5 we are experiencing what I suspect is memory leak issues.

Over time the memory usage goes up gradually to the point where the firewall goes into "conserve mode" and traffic forwarding stops. After reboot (HA failover) the memory usage is back down and then after about three weeks it goes into conserve mode again.

Anyone else experiencing the same problems?

Do you think I should just roll back to 6.4.x or wait for the next patch?

FG600e_mem_usage.PNG

1 Solution
notrixx
New Contributor II

The memory usage issues we experienced after upgrading from 6.4.x to 7.0.x seems to have been resolved with upgrading to 7.2.0 so I consider this case closed.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
FortiFollower

We're on 7.2.3 and still having the same problem. 

robertl

On 7.4....10 months late...same problem. So happy we moved to FortiGate

ltambori
New Contributor

I'm still on 7.2.3 with 600E, 100F and 60F (all in HA) and have the same problem.
At this moment I have 3 tickets on fortinet support trying to solve it.
They send me a new IPS engine last friday because they detected the IPSengine process was using to much memory. After the upgrade the IPS engine solve the memory problem but today I received alerts of conserve mode because of WAD, so, the WAD still is a problem for Fortinet since a long time.

CrackinRyder

I know it’s not a fix, but my work around on page 1 of this thread will fix your WAD issue

Stovik
New Contributor

We are on 7.2.6 and experiencing the same problem. It's really annoying and not very usable.

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

What process's memory leak are you experiencing with 7.2.6? wad? Or something else? Do you know the bug ID?

Toshi

BillH_FTNT

Hi Stovik, 

What is your version ? and can you give more information about your issue ? 

Regards

Bill

NoneEng
New Contributor II

Well, I'm having the same issue with a 100F at v7.2.5.

WAD decides to consume all RAM, forward traffic dies.

BillH_FTNT

Hi NoneEng

Could you share more details about your WAD issue? How can it make your traffic issue? Did the memory increase to converse mode? If you already have a ticket, if you don't mind, please share. Do you optimize your memory following this : https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Steps-on-how-to-optimize-Memory-consumptio...

Regards

Bill

NoneEng
New Contributor II

Hello!
Sure: memory was at ~30% most of the time, but in the last days WAD processes started to consume a lot more. Very similar to the graph notrixx (op) posted.

There were many, but 2 or 3 WAD processes were consuming the biggest chunks.

The system went to "converse mode" today, and the traffic halted. Packages were not being forwarded.

After reboot, traffic resumed and RAM sat at 30%, and stayed that way for some hours now.

I did not follow most of the tips to reduce Memory utilization, because as I said this gate utilizes ~30% RAM normally; this shouldn't be an issue.

edit: forgot to mention I didn't open a ticket for it yet.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors