Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Silver
New Contributor

Fortinet connect to core switch

Dear All, Can someone guide me what is the best way to setup fortigate in this scenario plz. 1) i have a fortigate & a core switch 2) they are having several vlan configured on the core switch included vlan for voice 3) right now intervlan routing if being done on the core switch 4) if we need to install fortigate as firewall how we can simply the config to the best way 5) i have several server on a specific vlan and also some server web server will need to access from outside on the internet. 6) i have also some vpn users who will need to access the internal resources from outside the network 7) The important thing also if i want to block certain users from a specific vlan not to access other vlan if it will be possible. The way i want to setting up the fortigate i want to configure an interface on the fortigate example port 1 & port 2 as link aggregation and connect the core switch on port 1 & 2 as aggregation using LACP protocol. And configure and ip address on the fortigate link aggregation interface and configure an ip address to a vlan on the core switch. And on the core switch configure a default route going to the fortigate. Can anyone may help me plz thanks alot
23 REPLIES 23
sw2090

well yes it will due to the arp/ipv4 protocolls ;)

So yes you might not be able to make per device policies depending on the mac.

What you could do is dhcp reservations to have somewhat fixed ips and do ip based policies.

That's what we do here since we only need policies for complete subnets or if we do need one for one device we do dhcp reservation or even static ips (e.g. servers have static internal ips). 

But this will happen even if you do inter-vlan-routing on the core switch at least for packets that leave the core switch to somewhere not on this switch ;)

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
dbarroco
New Contributor III

hello, 

i posted a thread yesterday with this same question. The only problem that i have with this is that traffic comming from other vlans will capture the core switch mac address, so you won't be able to do policies based on devices from other vlans.

i.e: core routes vlan1,2 and 3. FG is on vlan3. devices from 1 and 2 do not show up in fortigate.

On a costumer, what i did in the past was to implement FSSO and i use policies based on Active Directory groups. The costumer is happy.

But I'm considering to do it different this time:

One of the vlans has only fixed ip servers, the other vlan has the dhcp clients. I'm thinking of putting the FG on devices vlan - it will see all of of them, so I can say that device1-mac can go to google, and device2-mac can not. Since devices on the other vlan are fixed ip, you can actually list them manually in fortigate and do policies based on their ip, and overcome core switch the mac-address issue.

sw2090

[Sorry for double post but this is obviously a bug in this forum - I clicked the right posting I wanted to reply to but even though if you click the big "Reply" button above it always takes the wrong one :(  - also there is no way to delete your own wrong posting]

well yes it will due to the arp/ipv4 protocolls ;) So yes you might not be able to make per device policies depending on the mac. What you could do is dhcp reservations to have somewhat fixed ips and do ip based policies. That's what we do here since we only need policies for complete subnets or if we do need one for one device we do dhcp reservation or even static ips (e.g. servers have static internal ips).    But this will happen even if you do inter-vlan-routing on the core switch at least for packets that leave the core switch to somewhere not on this switch ;)

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
dbarroco
New Contributor III

Right, I believe this is where i'm going. I'm narrowing it down to 2 vlans.

I'm told that FSSO is working pretty good, i will still consider user based policies as a long run, but for now, at least, with this arp/ipv4 protocol, i have it covered.

Thanks a lot for the input ;)

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors