Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Abdelrahman_Khaled
New Contributor

Fortigate with teams calls

I have FortiGate at version 7.2.5 when i try to make teams calls it become noisy and advice for this issue?

2 REPLIES 2
Christian_89
Contributor III

If you are experiencing noise or audio quality issues during Teams calls when using a FortiGate firewall, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and improve the situation:

1. Update firmware: Ensure that your FortiGate firewall is running the latest firmware version. Check the Fortinet support website for any available firmware updates and apply them if necessary. Firmware updates often include bug fixes and improvements that can help resolve audio issues.

2. Check security profiles: FortiGate firewalls offer various security profiles that can impact network traffic. These profiles may include features like deep packet inspection (DPI), intrusion prevention system (IPS), or antivirus scanning. If these profiles are enabled and set to high levels of inspection, they can cause latency and affect audio quality. Consider adjusting the security profile settings or temporarily disabling them to see if it improves the audio quality.

3. QoS configuration: Quality of Service (QoS) settings can prioritize and allocate bandwidth for specific applications or traffic types. Review your QoS configuration on the FortiGate firewall to ensure that Teams traffic is prioritized appropriately. You can create QoS policies to prioritize Teams traffic and assign it higher bandwidth or lower latency. This can help ensure smooth audio and video performance during calls.

4. Check NAT configuration: If your FortiGate firewall is performing Network Address Translation (NAT) for the Teams traffic, ensure that NAT is correctly configured and not causing any issues. Misconfigured NAT settings can interfere with real-time communication applications like Teams. Double-check your NAT rules and verify that they are properly configured for Teams traffic.

5. Test with a bypass: To isolate the issue, you can temporarily bypass the FortiGate firewall and connect directly to the internet without going through the firewall. Test Teams calls in this scenario to determine if the audio quality improves. If the issue persists even without going through the FortiGate firewall, it could indicate a different underlying problem with your network or ISP.

6. Check network bandwidth and latency: Monitor your network bandwidth and latency during Teams calls to identify any issues. Use network monitoring tools to measure the available bandwidth, packet loss, and latency between the affected devices. Insufficient bandwidth or high latency can cause audio quality problems. Consider upgrading your network connection or optimizing the network to reduce latency if necessary.

7. Contact Fortinet support: If you have tried the above steps and the issue persists, it may be beneficial to contact Fortinet support directly. They can provide specific guidance based on your FortiGate model and firmware version. Fortinet support can help analyze logs, diagnose the issue, and provide further recommendations or solutions.

Remember to document any changes you make and perform them during a maintenance window or a time when they will have the least impact on your network operations.

knagaraju
Staff
Staff

Hello Abdelrahman_Khaled,

May I know if you have followed the upgrade path while upgrading the firmware?
May I know if you have checked the same by routing the team's traffic to one specific ISP and checked?
May I know if you have configured the ISDB policy for Microsoft Teams?
May I know if you are using SDWAN?

Regards
Nagaraju.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors