Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
prosysmike
New Contributor

Fortigate Remote Power

Hi,

What solution do any of you use to remotely power down a Fortigate when it enters unrecoverable conserve mode?

I have a few devices in remote locations that I cannot get to in a timely manner, I need to be able to remotely connect to a PDU of some sort to power down a port and reboot the device. I have some across 8 way switching PDU's such as the one below from APC and Lindy but a single port device would be ideal. Any thoughts and what have you done to get over this problem?

https://www.lindy.co.uk/networking-c5/remote-access-c266/ip-power-switch-classic-8-power-management-...

http://www.apc.com/shop/my/en/products/Rack-PDU-Switched-1U-16A-208-230V-8-C13/P-AP7921

1 Solution
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Sorry to hear that. My advice: get a new FGT instead of putting so much energy into a cludgy workaround. Conserve mode is a sure sign that the device is undersized (or misconfigured).

An IP-based PDU won't help you much if not directly connected to the WAN - which is a security nightmare in itself. So, separate 3G/4G router with second WAN address only for lights-out mgmt?

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
2 REPLIES 2
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Sorry to hear that. My advice: get a new FGT instead of putting so much energy into a cludgy workaround. Conserve mode is a sure sign that the device is undersized (or misconfigured).

An IP-based PDU won't help you much if not directly connected to the WAN - which is a security nightmare in itself. So, separate 3G/4G router with second WAN address only for lights-out mgmt?

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
prosysmike

Thanks, the unit has recently been through RMA process so I would imagine that the setup could be the source - although Fortinet have investigated and not found any problems....

So, luckily I have multiple firewalls in this DC and will be using another WAN IP to connect to the PDU. We have the Lindy PDU arriving this week in order to solve this problem.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors