Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
RWHuskies
New Contributor

Fortigate Radius Server - Can't contact RADIUS server - Local Freeradius Server

We have a Fortigate 200E, running firmware 7.6. IP address of 10.10.0.1 (Internal Software Switch).

I deployed a Freeradius Server, IP 10.10.0.11, for RADIUS based 802.1x WPA-Enterprise authentication for Wifi. The Radius Server is up and running, I can run a radtest from my local machine on the network behind the Fortigate and get successful connections.

This issue is when I go to add the FreeRadius information to the Radius Server section on the Fortigate, I am constantly hit with "Can't contact RADIUS server". My secret and IP are correct. I have tried to make a firewall allow rule from internal to internal, source all, and destination 10.10.0.11 with Radius services, but it didn't make any difference.

I've gone through all the Googling I can, tried setting the Source-ip to the Fortigate, nothing I do is letting the Fortigate connect to the Radius Server.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Have you tried "radiusd -X" debug mode with the freeRADIUS? What is your freeRADIUS saying about the reason of auth failure?
I recently posted below because it was rejected with an error "missing mandatory attribute".
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/Support-Forum/RADIUS-attribute-Message-Authenticator/td-p/327120

Toshi

RWHuskies

Ya, I've tried that and debug mode show nothing even trying to connect from the Fortigate. It's like the Fortigate isn't routing to the internal IP at all. I'm seeing nothing in the Fortigate logs either.

ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor III

Hello @RWHuskies ,

In addition to what @Toshi_Esumi  said, have you tried entering source-ip in the radius configuration?

config user radius
edit <YOUR_RADIUS_OBJECT_NAME>
set source-ip <x.x.x.x>
end
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
RWHuskies

Yes, I've set the source-ip to the internal interface IP (same as the Fortigate 10.10.0.1) with no change in behaviour. freeradius -X debug mode shows no attempts from the Fortigate. I'm seeing no calls from the Fortigate to the radius server in the Fortigate logs either.

tpatel
Staff
Staff

Hello RWHuskies

Can you please run sniffer on fortigate for your radius server and also do packet capture on outgoing interface to check packet. 

Please run below sniffer command. 
# diag sniffer packet any "host x.x.x.x" 4 0 l     ---> x.x.x.x should be your radius server ip address. 
Do a packet capture on connected interface and checked for radius request. 

Please click on below link and reference document. 

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Radius-authentication-troubleshooting/ta-p...

RWHuskies
New Contributor

Hi all.

Okay so I was looking for the logs in the wrong place. The Fortigate is trying to connect the the radius server on port 13777 instead of port 8192. If I manually change the port on the radius server to use port 13777, I get a connection and the Radius Server works.

Why would the Fortigate be trying to use port 13777 instead of 8192?

ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor III

Hi @RWHuskies ,

Normally FortiGate uses port 1812 by default. What you experienced is interesting, to be honest.

Is there any device that does NAT?

However, can you revert the configuration to its previous state and check the port of the requests coming out of Fortigate with the following sniffer command?

diag sniffer packet any "host x.x.x.x" 4 a

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
Toshi_Esumi

There are two places where you can configure radius-port. Check below:

config system global

get | grep radius-port
end
config user radius

edit <radius-name>
    get | grep radius-port
  next

end

I'm not sure about the different between those two. But I'm guessing the format is system-wide radius port, which is used when you don't specify at each radius config. And the latter would override the global port setting per radius.

Of course, as @ozkanaltas said, if nothing is configured specifically the default radius port is always 1812. radius accounting is 1813.

Toshi

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors