Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
lenapakhi
New Contributor

Fortigate Interface order

We are running a fortigate-vm on a nutanix-cluster and got a problem with the order of the interfaces.

Is it correct that the interfaces are read sequentially on boot like they appear on the pci-bus and there is no way to "pin" a specific port to a mac-address?

for example:

• Physical Interface#1 on Bus: 000:00:03.0 => port1

• Physical Interface#2 on Bus: 000:00:04.0 => port2

• Physical Interface#3 on Bus: 000:00:05.0 => port3

So if i add another physical interface which is presented at Bus 02, it will be port1 and every interfaces will be shifted by +1 and therefore the configuration is wrong. Or if i remove the interface #2 (on port2) the configuration of port3 is removed and the interface#3 is now on port2.

How do you deal with this problem or what is the best practice to add additional interfaces on a fortigate-vm?

Thanks!

192.168.0.1 router login 192.168.l.l
2 REPLIES 2
gfleming
Staff
Staff

I"m not sure of the behaviour, tbh. Are you saying you are experiencing this behaviour?

I would suggest you do not delete or add interfaces after you've configured the VM. It can't hurt to have extra interfaces that aren't being used...

Cheers,
Graham
vvarangoulis
Staff
Staff

Hello,

The Fortigate is the guest operating system, it does not dictate the order of the interfaces. If there are some specific requirements, those can be addressed within the guest OS and with the hypervisor provider.
Since Nutanix is assigning the ports on the bus, better refer to Nutanix support and documentation
A quick Goole search, came with this,

check issue number 4
https://portal.nutanix.com/page/documents/kbs/details?targetId=kA032000000TVfiCAG

Hope it helped

Please mark the posts as solved if you have no further queries
--VV--
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors