Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
it-andreagx
New Contributor II

Fortigate 7.4 web filter and let's encrypt certificate

Hello, 

Is it possibile use the let's encrypt certificate with web filter? 

The goal is to set up a web filter and configure overrides without installing the certificate on all clients.

Would a self-signed certificate be better?

5 REPLIES 5
pminarik
Staff
Staff

The LE certificate can be used in a VIP with TLS offloading (server-load-balance with TLS/HTTPS sub-type), or in SSL inspection profiles set to "protect server". Webfilter can be used in firewall policies with either of these with relative ease.

You will not be able to use it for deep-inspection of outbound general internet traffic (typical outgoing "LAN->WAN" traffic from end-user endpoints). A CA certificate is needed for that, and LE will not issue one for you. (nor will any commercial CA sell you one, to be clear)

[ corrections always welcome ]
it-andreagx
New Contributor II

Thank you for your reply. 

So I can use LE certificate in Web Filter relative easely.. 
What do you mean with relative easy? What I have to do? 

pminarik

Potentially nothing, hence "relatively easily".
Example for a basic setup for inbound traffic filtering (e.g. to your internet-exposed webserver):

1. Configure either a VIP with TLS offloading for HTTPS (using the LE certificate), or a basic VIP + a new SSL inspection profile (using "protect server" + choose the LE certificate)
  2. Use the VIP + SSL inspection profile in a policy, add the desired webfilter to it (or a WAF profile)
  3. Done

I don't recall if the intermediate CAs need to be imported into the FortiGate to posses the complete chain, but modern clients probably won't have problems with this.

it-andreagx

I'm sorry but it's not clear to me if I need to always install the Fortinet CA certificate to use web filter with override for the outbound traffic. i.e. LAN to WAN. 
The web filter hit the traffic LAN to WAN only.

pminarik

For outbound traffic, where you want to inspect traffic from your LAN clients towards arbitrary third-party websites (or other services) that you do not control, you will absolutely need your own CA, and that CA needs to be installed as a trusted CA on all endpoints whose traffic is to be inspected. There is no way to circumvent this. Let's Encrypt certificates are not an option here.

A slightly easier situation is if you have a Windows AD enviromnent with an already existing root CA. If you use that root CA to issue a sub-CA for the FortiGate, you can use that for deep-inspection, and domain-joined Windows devices should automatically trust that CA. (as long as they actually have the domain root CA already installed)

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors