Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rheiam
New Contributor

Fortigate 60B - Kernel panic

Hi All, Fortigate 60B won' t boot at all please help. Here' s putty session output: Reading boot image 1810399 bytes. in grub_open errnum=2 Initializing firewall...Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00 FGT60B (14:25-10.01.2008) Ver:04000009 Serial number:FGT60B3908662670 RAM activation Total RAM: 256MB Enabling cache...Done. Scanning PCI bus...Done. Allocating PCI resources...Done. Enabling PCI resources...Done. Zeroing IRQ settings...Done. Verifying PIRQ tables...Done. Boot up, boot device capacity: 64MB. Press any key to display configuration menu... Is there anyway to recover? Moderator, Sorry if this is not the right place for this issue, hope you can transfer my query on correct category. Thanks in advance!
2 REPLIES 2
rheiam
New Contributor

Went to debug mode and Scan Flash: Enter G,F,I,Q,or H: dr: Disable onboard RAM. rt: Start RAM test. offc: Turn off cache. onc: Turn on cache. lpci: List all PCI devices. spci: Set PCI configuration registers. clk: Display real time clock. q: Quit debug mode. h: Display this command list. :k List existing REAL bad block(s) no. : ------------------------------ Nand bad block(s) list: bad block 0x0b74, pos 0x02dd0000, ret=1 bad block 0x0ee8, pos 0x03ba0000, ret=1 ------------------------------ Nand flash has 0X1000 blocks, bad block(s): 0X0002 Scan and verify Nand flash' s block, REAL block no.(0X0000~0X0FFF) start_block-->0x end_block-->0x Testing block: 0X0000~0X0000 of 0X0000 Nand flash chip' s REAL block status: ------------------------------ Nand bad block(s) list: bad block 0x0b74, pos 0x02dd0000, ret=1 bad block 0x0ee8, pos 0x03ba0000, ret=1 ------------------------------ No failed block(s) of verification! :q Enter G,F,I,Q,or H: : Get firmware image from TFTP server. : Format boot device. : Configuration and information. : Quit menu and continue to boot with default firmware. : Display this list of options. Enter Selection : Enter G,F,I,Q,or H: You must format the boot device. So, I went to format: All data will be erased,continue:[Y/N]? Formatting boot device... ................................ Format boot device completed. What' s next? Where do I get a firmware and upload it via TFTP?
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

You will need an acount o get firmware. The 60B are still has firmware available at ftp://pftpintl:F0rt1intl@support.fortinet.com/FortiGate The build as #672 patch15 9/5/13 fwiw: The problem your encountering is typical in some of the older units. And the only resolution is to reformat and install firmware. I hope you have a backup of your config or your config was small and non complex.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors