Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
fallenturtle
New Contributor

Forticlient keeps breaking my local dev enviroment

I'm using a Mac and I use Laravel Valet https://laravel.com/docs/5.6/valet for my development environment on my Mac. It uses Nginx and DnsMasq so that any url with a .test domain points to my locally installed sites.

I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue where when my computer comes back from sleep while connected to through my employer's VPN *.test no longer resolve to my localhost (127.0.0.1).

If I issue the command to reinstall Valet it starts working again and I'm also still able to services and sites available over the VPN. This is what the output is when i reinstall Valet (which is done through the terminal):

Stopping nginx...
Installing nginx configuration...
Installing nginx directory...
Updating PHP configuration...
Restarting php...
Restarting dnsmasq...
Restarting nginx...
Valet installed successfully!

There's also a command to restart Valet, which outputs:

Restarting php...
Restarting nginx...
Valet services have been restarted.

But this doesn't fix the issue, so its not just a matter of restarting nginx or php. I've also tried starting and stopping dnsmasq and that doesn't work either.

Oddly, if I connect to the VPN while Valet is working, I have no issues, its only when the VPN reconnected after sleep.

Any ideas on the issue and what I could do to try to resolve it?

8 REPLIES 8
scheMeZa
New Contributor

What did you end up doing?

I'm experiencing the same issue.

scheMeZa

I've noticed that his only happens when forticlient disconnects.

scheMeZa

Sorry, is this the wrong place to report the problem?

It's really annoying.

Will other SSL VPN clients work with my forticlient details?

If so, any recommended alternatives?

jamosmk7

What I've found is that disconnecting FortinetClient deletes the resolvers in /etc/resolver. The reason re-installing Valet fixes it is that it replaces the custom resolver that points your local development TLD at the localhost for name resolution. As a workaround, instead of doing a full reinstall of valet, you can simply create

/etc/resolver/{filename}
where filename is the tld you want dnsmasq to resolve, and inside that file

nameserver 127.0.0.1

But it would be great if the Fortinet client didn't destroy custom resolvers on disconnect.

jousch

Hey folks, version 6.2.1 (I actually can't find the public download link) fixes the problem. One of my customers reported the issue. Take a look into https://fortinetweb.s3.amazonaws.com/docs.fortinet.com/v2/attachments/abb6527f-91e1-11e9-81a4-005056...

https://filestore.fortinet.com/forticlient/downloads/FortiClientVPNOnlineInstaller_6.2.dmg 6.2.2 or later download link :)

Arwin
New Contributor

Same problem here, FortiClient 7.0.6.0.208 (ZTNA version).

It does not work in combination with Laravel Valet (dnsmasq). Hopefully this will be fixed.

For now i change my /etc/hosts file manually.

arturas_kinfirm

What did you change? I got same problem, valet doesn't work after installing FortiClient

Arwin

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors