Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
BarryGhuman
New Contributor II

FortiNAC to send the Cisco radius Neat attribute

Hi Team, 

I am replacing Cisco ISE with FortiNAC. The Cisco ISE is currently configured to profile the Access Points and send a Cisco Neat attribute. This Neat attribute helps the Cisco switch assign a truck role to the port. 

In FortiNAC, Network Access > "Configuration" - It does not provide any option to send radius attribute only and VLAN ID is mandatory. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/8021x/116681-config-neat-cise-00.html

cisco-avpair = device-traffic-class = Switch

I want to check if FortiNAC has a way to sort this situation. 

Regards, 

Barry Ghuman 

Barinder Ghuman
Barinder Ghuman
1 Solution
ebilcari

The access value field is just a value that can be used if one of the attributes has the pointer %ACCESS_VALUE% configured. If the default is set to None and only this custom attribute is selected, that will be the only attribute that will end up in the Access-Accept:

neat (1).PNG

You can run a packet capture from FNAC CLI to verify the RADIUS responses: 

tcpdump host x.x.x.x and port 1812 -nnv

or if in FNAC version 7.2/4:

execute tcpdump host x.x.x.x and port 1812 -vX

*replace x.x.x.x with the IP of the switch

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

Yes, it's possible through custom Attribute Groups. You can also check this article that shows a similar setup.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
BarryGhuman

Hi Team, 

I think you didn't understand my question. I want to assign only Radius attributes. I don't want to send the mandatory VLAN attribute. 

Regards, 

Barry Ghuman

Barinder Ghuman
Barinder Ghuman
ebilcari

Are you trying to customize the attributes on the RADIUS Access-Accept right?

Are you having trouble creating the custom attribute group or applying it?

neat.PNG

- Emirjon
BarryGhuman

Hi Team, 

There is no problem in creating the radius attribute. 

The problem is assigning the attribute. Under "Model Configuration" - the radius attribute group is assigned with a VLAN. 

I don't want to send VLAN attributes and only "radius attributes". 

Regards, 

Barry Ghuman

Barinder Ghuman
Barinder Ghuman
ebilcari

This is explained on the article I've shared previously: FortiNAC will try to merge the default group attributes with the new attributes it finds in 'Additional RADIUS Attribute Group'. The solution is to set the 'Default RADIUS Attribute Group' to None at the network device level and set the new group attribute at the logical network.

- Emirjon
BarryGhuman

Hi Emirjon, 

Thank you for your reply!

Here is the mapping of attributes:

--Under Network Access --> "Configuration" is the assigned value

Configuration assigns the "Logical Network"

--The Logical network gets the attributes --> Model Device (Logical Network Configuration). 

Under the mapping radius attributes- it does not permit to add only the radius group. It requires a VLAN as well. 

Here is the question, how does FortiNAC authorize the Cisco AP to permit a trunk port on the switch after profiling to Cisco AP? 

Regards, 

Barry Ghuman

Barinder Ghuman
Barinder Ghuman
ebilcari

Yes the logical network that is chosen on the NAP can be added to the Model configuration of the device. If you select None as Default Attribute Group, you will be able to select only the "Additional RADIUS Attribute Group" that will have only the attribute created previously. If you hover the mouse over, you will see the list of attributes that will be sent with the Access-Accept.

not merged.PNG

This method is often used for hosts. By default the AP are treated like network devices, not like normal hosts. In case you need to apply NAP to APs you have to also enable this option here:

NAP-ap.PNG

- Emirjon
BarryGhuman

Hi Emirjon, 

I think you did not understand my question. I know how to create and map the radius attribute group for the connection reply. 

In your screenshot -- The Logical network is assigned "Access Value" + "Additional Radius Attribute Group". 

"Access Value" is a VLAN and sent as radius attribute " Tunnel-Private-Group-ID". 

When the AP is profiled to Cisco AP, it will be assigned a "Logical Network" as per the Network Access Configuration.

The enforced attribute "Tunnel-Private-Group-ID" will conflict with the neat attribute (to authorize the port as a trunk). 

How can FortiNAC authorize a port as a trunk after successful profiling on Cisco Switch?

Regards, 

Barry Ghuman 

Barinder Ghuman
Barinder Ghuman
ebilcari

The access value field is just a value that can be used if one of the attributes has the pointer %ACCESS_VALUE% configured. If the default is set to None and only this custom attribute is selected, that will be the only attribute that will end up in the Access-Accept:

neat (1).PNG

You can run a packet capture from FNAC CLI to verify the RADIUS responses: 

tcpdump host x.x.x.x and port 1812 -nnv

or if in FNAC version 7.2/4:

execute tcpdump host x.x.x.x and port 1812 -vX

*replace x.x.x.x with the IP of the switch

- Emirjon
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors