Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ZafirFX
New Contributor

FortiManager and partially shadowed policies

Hi guys,

In our FMG I'm using policy package consistency check to check for inconsistency's withn our policies.

As for now I have troubles with one polcy where I'm getting errour about partially shadowed policies

So what did I do:

Because we wanted to block FTP and ICMP from Subnet 1 to two different hosts in our MGMT I created a rule where I'm blocking both services to those hosts...

The rules looks like this at the moment:

config firewall policy
edit 1
set srcintf "LAN"
set dstintf "MGMT"
set srcaddr "SUBNET1"
set dstaddr "IP3" "IP4"
set schedule "always"
set service "FTP""ICMP"
set logtraffic disable
set action deny
next
end

config firewall policy
edit 2
set srcintf "LAN"
set dstintf "MGMT"
set srcaddr "SUBNET1"
set dstaddr "all"
set schedule "always"
set service "ALL"
set logtraffic all
set action accept
next
end

Now every time I do a policy check I get an error that policy 2 is partially shadowed by rule 1

Something I don't understand.... In my first rule I'm using two host with action deny for two services while the second one allowes the all other traffic.

I know that I can disable the policy check but is there way to get around this? 

Why does the FMG doesn't see that the first rule is an deny rule with two different hosts and services?

In my eyes every deny statement on top of the policy wil create partially shadowed policies.

7 REPLIES 7
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

What version of FMG? I found this with 6.4.6 when we first deployed FMG. And opened a ticket at TAC to complain about it. But as always, ended up "you need to file an NFR(new feature request) via SE". I haven't tried re-enabling automatic policy check since then.

Toshi

ZafirFX

At the moment I'm on 7.0.4

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

That's the very latest of 7.0.x. You generally need to open a TAC ticket to file an NFR and attach the ticket number when you contact an SE. Or if you're lucky, you might be able to get a bug ID from TAC if they've gotten enough complaints and recognized necessity of changing the design.

Toshi

Israel
New Contributor

If I understood it correctly, this message appears because you are blocking traffic that could be authorized by policy 2, I would not consider it an error.

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Detecting it as "partially shadows" is fine, although that's very normal way of building up policies. But the biggest problem is the policy check fails because of this and we can't install the policy package. That's the problem.

Toshi

cpierce

Toshi- to do what you are describing, this is in the settings for the particular ADOM.

In the settings, there is an option to do Policy Checks before each install. Underneath that is an option for how Policy Checks act:

Action When Conflicts Occur During Policy Check - You can turn this on or off. Off still allows you stop the install based on shadowed policies or continue pushing the install.

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

The thread was more than 2 years ago. We never used the policy check more than 3 years. The FMG software must have changed for many parts by now. We probably need to re-test whatever we decided not to use at that time to see any behavioral changes.

Thanks,

Toshi

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors