Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
JP42
New Contributor II

FortiClientVPN iOS Certificate Passphrase

Greetings all,

I'm having an issue which I get the sense will be a simple fix but I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm trying to add a certificate to iOS to use for connecting to a fortigate vpn. I have no trouble getting the certificate onto the iphone and forticlient detecting it, but its asking for a passphrase.

I generated a certificate key pair via Easy-RSA and was able to upload them to the Fortigate without issue. The private key has a password so I was able to enter that into Fortigate without issue. But on the iphone, my understanding is its just the one file, and it needs to be the certificate, which does not have a password. But the app will not let it be used without a password, and leaving it blank returns incorrect passphrase. 

What am I doing wrong? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

1 Solution
JP42
New Contributor II

Correct, setup a CA, made the certificate key pairs, signed, etc.

I noted that I already had the certificates in the original post. 

I figured it out last night - they couldn't be .key and .crt files. Even renaming them as someone instructed another poster was not sufficient. They had to be exported as .p12 files, which combines the private key and certificate, and is password protected. 

Thanks for trying to assist though! I appreciate it. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AEK
Honored Contributor II

Hello

Can you add a screenshot?

AEK
AEK
JP42
New Contributor II

IMG_7213.jpg

JP42
New Contributor II

This message pops up after I select the file and when I try to save the configuration. 

ebilcari
Staff
Staff

I suspect you are trying to add the certificate on the filed that is used for user certificate based authentication. If you are trying to configure username/password authentication only, no client certificate is needed. As long as the device has the the certificate trusted in its store the authentication will succeed.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
JP42
New Contributor II

That is correct, and is my intention. I don't want to rely on just username/pw or even 2fa. 

ebilcari

In that case you need to create dedicated certificates (+ private key) and apply for each user that will use the VPN. Details are explained here: https://docs.fortinet.com/document/forticlient/7.0.0/ios-administration-guide/428118/ssl-vpn

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
JP42
New Contributor II

Correct, setup a CA, made the certificate key pairs, signed, etc.

I noted that I already had the certificates in the original post. 

I figured it out last night - they couldn't be .key and .crt files. Even renaming them as someone instructed another poster was not sufficient. They had to be exported as .p12 files, which combines the private key and certificate, and is password protected. 

Thanks for trying to assist though! I appreciate it. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors