Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
vf
New Contributor III

Set up dhcp server with multiple pools

Hello,

i set up a vlan with public ip adress. I want to set up dhcp server with clients wich receive adress on pool 10.1.0.0/24 with  private ip address (different than public ip address). I set a secondary ip address on Web UI with private ip adress.

When i try to set it, Fortigate denies and displays dhcp pool adresses must belong to same subnet than public ip adress. I conclude than it doesn't consider secondary adress for dhcp allocation adresses. Am i right ? How can i achieve my configuration ?

Clients are on same vlan than fortigate dhcp server. The interface is type Vlan with public ip adress.

Best regards.

4 REPLIES 4
vf
New Contributor III

Thanks. I'm on mature version 7.0 where this functionality is not implemented.

On this example, could you confirm that fortigate relay and server could be the same physically equipment ?

On linux, we could implement many virtual interfaces where each interfaces listen for dhcp requests.

Oe the example you mention, we must implement a dhcp relay which relays dhcps requests to an other ip which seems belonging to same interface "p2_vl3819". Could you confirm ?

Best regards.

vf
New Contributor III

Dear all,

i also received an answer from support which replies that my configuration is not supported on fortigate :

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Assigning-DHCP-Range-from-secondary-IP-add...

suniyoka
New Contributor

One last caveat about this configuration. depending on the configuration the registration of DNS servers learning host names for clients might not work globally if you’re mixing DHCP services from different vendors. It still could if you have DNS info that can be shared to a DNS IP configured between the two but I don’t know which solutions you’re going with and it might not even matter. This is just do auto DHCP hostnames. Any server you have most likely have a static DNS record and Static IP address. It probably won’t matter for most use cases but it’s something that you might expect to work and it might not.

https://xender.vip/
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors