Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MasterBratac
Contributor

FortiClient, custom msi file

Hello guys, I have created a mst file for customizing forticlient setup. If I run msiexec with the TRANSFORM Option pointing to my mst file, every thing works. But how do I integrate this mst into a msi file ? If I run
 FCRepackager.exe -m c:\FortiClient.msi -t c:\FortiClient.mst -z

c:\FortiClient.msi has only 15 kb after that, and won´t run anymore ... am I doing something wrong here ?
4 REPLIES 4
jonks_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Looks like a bug. Which build are you using? I' ve just tried it with the repackager that is in 3.0.595 and it doesn' t do that. You might need to do this using the repackager that is in 3.0.595 (it is backwards compatible): 1. use
-i <features> -c <features>
To create your mst (I guess you have already done this bit.) Rename that mst, because otherwise it will get overwritten later on. 2. Then use
-i <features> -c NONE -m <msi>
This creates a shrunken msi that contains only the features you selected and NO customizations. The shrunken msi is created in the " transformed" subdir. 3. then use
-t <mst path> -m <shrunk msi path>
to apply your mst to the shrunken msi --- alternatively --- Save yourself some steps and just use
-i <features> -m <msi>
With 3.0.595, this will create a shrunken MSI with your current settings embedded into it. The shrunken msi is created in the " transformed" subdir.
MasterBratac
Contributor

Thank you, I´m using the current Version ... 3.0.595 ... I will try your way on monday ...
Not applicable

i have problems witht he FCRepackager as well, i am using 3.0.595 i use the following command line FCRepackager.exe -m FortiClient.msi -z -i VPN -k <blah, blah, blah> -L <blah, blah> and i get the following error FortiClient.msi cannot be opended or it is not a valid msi database so far i have not been able to create a shrunken msi that works, i had the same issue as the orignal poster, my resultent msi was only 15KB and didnt work
MasterBratac

--- alternatively --- Save yourself some steps and just use -i <features> -m <msi> With 3.0.595, this will create a shrunken MSI with your current settings embedded into it. The shrunken msi is created in the " transformed" subdir.
This worked for me ... thank you very much! @Ben Watson The -m option must point to an existing forticlient.msi file, which is used as source file for the new msi file. It´s not the path pointing to the resulting msi file. The new msi file is then created in a subfolder .\transformed I also had problems with to long filenames. Originaly I did those stuff within my desktop folder, so the pathname was very long. This resulted in strange error messages. Now I´m doing that in a folder C:\FC\, and now it works.
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors