Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
JPL-Safari
New Contributor

FortiClient VPN - Stuck on "Connecting"

Installing 7.4.0.1658 on two different Windows 11 (Dell Vostro and Dell Inspiron) Laptops.  Both laptops were Wiped and Prepped with the same Windows 11 23H2 Pro OS and are set up using very basic Intune Profiles (Intune barely does anything).

The VPN Client, when launched, only goes as far as "Connecting".  It never times out and appears as if its stuck.  

Are there any Windows Settings I should be looking at which would impact the clients ability to establish a connection?  Logs dont appear to show anything indicating the VPN is even attempting to connect.

6 REPLIES 6
tdrake2406
New Contributor II

When connecting the vpn you may be missing a window from forticlient.  It is usually somewhere in the background where you have to accept a cert warning.  If there is not one, what percentage of the forticlient completion are you stuck at?

JPL-Safari

I never get to a percent at all.  It just shows "Connecting"

tdrake2406
New Contributor II

If that doesnt work I just saw another user post the below which may be helpful to you.

tdrake2406_0-1718655304743.png

misraa
Visitor

Created on‎06-17-202405:30 AM

Forticlient VPN issue with Lenovo PCs

Just a heads up if anyone comes across it, just spent a very long time working out why Forticlient VPN (using current live download version, i think tis 7.4.x) would not function on two separate Lenovo PCs (one old one brand new) when the same details and version work across our HP fleet. Current VPN client version would sit at Connecting and never go anywhere, IPSEC L2TP and SSL. This error would be in GUI_1_error.log - "guimessenger 238 error failed to open shared memory. GLE=2"

Installing Forticlient VPN 7.0.x fixed the issue immediately for all VPN types. No idea what it is about the Lenovos that causes this, we removed all bloatware on both and as they are outside our fully supported fleet we're not looking any further. Hope this helps someone though.

ladinaladin

Our customer just encountered the same problem with FortiClient 7.4.0.1658. They are using Lenovo notebooks. I tried the same version of FortiClient on my Dell, and everything works properly. It looks like a problem between FortiClient and specific NICs. 

Everything was resolved by installing FortiClient in version 7.0.12.0572 on their Lenovo notebooks. 

Thanks for help...

Vladimír
Vladimír
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @JPL-Safari,

I would suggest reinstalling or trying a different FortiClient version. 

Regards, 

pavankr5
Staff
Staff

Hello @JPL-Safari ,

For FortiClient VPN is stuck on "connecting,"  we need to check your internet connection and sure there is a stable internet connection without any interruptions. Try restarting FortiClient, closing FortiClient completely, and reopening it to see if the issue persists. Restart your device because sometimes a restart of your device can resolve connectivity issues. Update FortiClient to the latest version of FortiClient to avoid any known bugs or issues that may have been fixed in newer releases. 

let us know if you have any queries.

Thanks,

Pavan

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors