Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
JPL-Safari
New Contributor

FortiClient VPN - Stuck on "Connecting"

Installing 7.4.0.1658 on two different Windows 11 (Dell Vostro and Dell Inspiron) Laptops.  Both laptops were Wiped and Prepped with the same Windows 11 23H2 Pro OS and are set up using very basic Intune Profiles (Intune barely does anything).

The VPN Client, when launched, only goes as far as "Connecting".  It never times out and appears as if its stuck.  

Are there any Windows Settings I should be looking at which would impact the clients ability to establish a connection?  Logs dont appear to show anything indicating the VPN is even attempting to connect.

14 REPLIES 14
Brandon1

Updating the client is was caused this issue. Reverting back to older versions of the client is what's fixing the issue of the client being stuck on "connecting". 

Thanks,
Brandon
Thanks,Brandon
renyloi

Dear Pavan,

Whatever you suggested already had been tried before this comment. BUT now the issues is the newest update caused the connection problem bug. Do you have any other solution?

fortiguy85
New Contributor

I'm running into issues on both the latest Windows 10 and Windows 11 with FortiClient VPN 7.4.0.1658.  We just recently cut from an older Cisco ASA and have run into the stuck on "Connecting" bug with a few different laptops and desktops. Uninstalling 7.4.0.1658 and installing 7.2.4.0972 seems to be the fix for those PCs for now.  I understand it's an "unsupported" application but I think this needs some support from the developers.

AGU_HD
New Contributor II

The FortiTray.exe app is missing a .dll file. That why it's stuck on Connecting.

Download and install the 2 Visual Studio Redistributables from this topic: DLL files missing after Windows 11 update - Microsoft Community

After that your FortiClient should be working again.

ustechsupporta

As AGU_HD mentioned, mfc140u.dll was missing from Windows 11.  After installing MS VS C++, the FortiClient application began working again. 

Please try to download and install both x86 and x64 versions of the multi-installer Visual C++ 2015, 2017 and 2019 redistributables. Restart your PC after the installation. Note: Don't install the ARM64
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/297700...

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors