Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Frosty
Contributor

FortiAP 220B and Channel selection

We have 4 x FortiAP 220B units running firmware v5.0.7 (build 64) . 

In the past these unit were spread across a number of WiFi Channels (1, 6 and 11). 

Just recently I noticed that all of them were using Channel 6 only. 

I cannot find any option in the Fortigate web interface to set the channel number. 

I cannot find any option in the FortiAP web interface to set the channel ID, although it does at least display on the Wireless tab that Channel = 1, 6, 11.

So ... to my question ... has the ability to set the WiFi Channel been removed from the FortiAP's?

2 Solutions
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Stephen Frost wrote:

So ... to my question ... has the ability to set the WiFi Channel been removed from the FortiAP's?

See this post.  Just create a custom AP profile with the channel(s) you want then assign it to the 220B.  Ideally, you will want to choose a channel with the min. interference from other APs (at least +/- 3 channels) in the area. (See the Wireless Health monitor.)

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

View solution in original post

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Pretty much all of your questions can be answered in the Deploying Wireless Networks Guide.

Turning on Rouge AP scanning and WIDS can both be resource hogs, especially on small Fortigates. If you do decide to enable these features, just monitor the Fortigate's CPU usage.  (It may not actually be a problem at all.) Regarding allowing the AP to "auto set" the channel, I'll be be honest and say I never watched these units to see if they actually auto-adjust the channels they are operating at.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Stephen Frost wrote:

See this post.  Just create a custom AP profile with the channel(s) you want then assign it to the 220B.  Ideally, you will want to choose a channel with the min. interference from other APs (at least +/- 3 channels) in the area. (See the Wireless Health monitor.)

Frosty

Thanks Dave,

That was very helpful.  I have had a go at creating a custom profile, but I have a few questions.  These are the settings that I am planning to use:

I am turning Background Scanning ON because I do use the wireless "Rogue AP Scan" detection and reporting functions.

I assume "WIDS" means Wireless IDS ... so I am happy to turn that ON unless there is a good reason not to use it (e.g. if it is known to be a resource hog?

Can you explain what "Radio Resource Provision" does?  The online Help doesn't shed much light on it.  I am guessing that this means that the APs will scan the environment around them and then self-select the most appropriate channel to use?  Is that right?  If it is, then I am happy to do that ...

Client Load Balancing: I am happy to use that, even though the wireless network is lightly loaded.  It just makes sense to utilise that feature, unless you know of some reason why I should disable it?

So perhaps the most important question concerns the Channels selected for each Radio.  I would ideally like to have the APs decide on which Channels to use and I would like them to have the ability to use any of them (subject to them detecting and avoiding interference from other networks nearby).  So am I right therefore to tick ALL the Channel boxes?

I am planning to apply this Custom Profile to just one of my APs and then see how it behaves over a few days, before rolling it out to the rest of the APs.

Thanks for any further information you might be able to share. 

Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Pretty much all of your questions can be answered in the Deploying Wireless Networks Guide.

Turning on Rouge AP scanning and WIDS can both be resource hogs, especially on small Fortigates. If you do decide to enable these features, just monitor the Fortigate's CPU usage.  (It may not actually be a problem at all.) Regarding allowing the AP to "auto set" the channel, I'll be be honest and say I never watched these units to see if they actually auto-adjust the channels they are operating at.

Frosty

Thanks again,

I've reviewed that doco and it all looks good to proceed.

I'll update the firmware to the latest version on one of the APs this afternoon, then apply my Custom Profile.

Cheers,

Steve

Frosty

Dave Hall wrote:

Regarding allowing the AP to "auto set" the channel, I'll be be honest and say I never watched these units to see if they actually auto-adjust the channels they are operating at.

Just letting you know that I completed the updates to my 4 x APs this morning and its all gone okay. 

I can confirm that the "auto set" of the channel based on the interference they detect seems to be working fine ... I have observed the channel IDs change a couple of times since the update, so it does work!

Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Good to know and I'll keep that in mind.  Not sure if I would be able to pull off the same thing with one client who has like 20+ FortiAPs on site.  They have a 200D managing that many APs with something like 150 wireless clients (and something like 230 wired machines).  Love the 200D so far -- not even hitting 20% CPU usage with that kind of load. :) 

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors