Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MikeLeite
New Contributor

Fiber tranceiver on FortiSwitch 448D

Hello - We tried to connect fiber (single-mode, 1 Gb) to an FS 448D, but there was no connection and the FS didn't indicate that it even recognized the transceiver (FG-TRAN-SFP+LR).  We are currently using a StarTech Fiber LC to ethernet converter for this connection, and that is working, but we would rather connect directly to the switch (keeping the external converter as a backup).  Does the port or anything else on the switch need to be configured for this connection?  Everything I found seems to indicate it's mostly PnP, but I haven't found much documentation on this.  Also, this is a 48 port switch, but the SFP ports are numbered 49-52.  Are they paired with any ethernet ports like 45-48?  There's nothing that indicates that, but that's how I've usually seen it done with other brands.  Seems odd that they would give you 4 extra ports.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...  Mike

1 Solution
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Your info is a bit mixed up...

[ul]
  • SFP+ transceivers transmit 10Gbps
  • the 448D offers 4 10G ports (49-52)
  • which are downward compatible with 1G SFP transceivers
  • you state that your line is 'single mode, 1 Gbps'.[/ul]

So either your line is 'single mode, 10G' or you are using the wrong transceiver.

If the line is 10G, the transceiver is a SFP+ type and the other side of the line is using a LongRange transceiver as well, then it should work.

BTW: The 4 SFP+ ports on the 448D are additional ports - it's a 52 port switch :)

• Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
    3 REPLIES 3
    ede_pfau
    SuperUser
    SuperUser

Your info is a bit mixed up...

[ul]
  • SFP+ transceivers transmit 10Gbps
  • the 448D offers 4 10G ports (49-52)
  • which are downward compatible with 1G SFP transceivers
  • you state that your line is 'single mode, 1 Gbps'.[/ul]

So either your line is 'single mode, 10G' or you are using the wrong transceiver.

If the line is 10G, the transceiver is a SFP+ type and the other side of the line is using a LongRange transceiver as well, then it should work.

BTW: The 4 SFP+ ports on the 448D are additional ports - it's a 52 port switch :)

• Ede

MikeLeite

Thank you for your help. A little background... this is our first time dealing with fiber, and I knew little to nothing about it. We are a small company, so we had no reason to use it for anything prior to this. However, we set up a new connection through our carrier between two locations, and the handoff to our equipment at the new location was fiber. We expected it to be ethernet on both ends like a similar connection we have, but I suspect they didn't already have switching equipment at that location to do that, so they just brought the fiber to our rack. We had to learn quickly and put something together quickly. The FN tranceiver was on back order at the time, which is why we got the converter as a temporary solution.

It sounds like we have the wrong FN tranceiver. It was the one recommended by our reseller, and we told them it was a 1 Gbps line, so we'll have to go back to them on that. I saw that it was listed as a 10Gbps tranceiver, but as this was recommended to us; and being new to fiber and FN hardware, I thought maybe the transmit speed was configurable on it in some way. Doesn't look like it though. Thanks again for your help!

Mike

ede_pfau

Thanks for the background. Your reseller should have noticed you were talking about a WAN line and that you probably would not order a 10G line...the lighter side of it is that you get a lot of money, like 90%. The SFP transceiver is like two-figure here in Europe.

Be aware that you need the 'single mode' 1G transceiver. The other variety is 'multi-mode' which is much more commonly used. It's called FG-TRAN-LX and has a duplex LC interface (that's the form factor of the plug). So your line's end should be duplex LC as well.

Both types are not interchangeable, one uses an LED, the other a laser diode. The latter is needed to obtain the higher range of up to 10 km.

Good luck!

Ede

Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors