Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
lhsit
New Contributor III

Do I really need 4 rules here?

Hello All,

I have two VDOMs, one for my servers and one for my desktops.  I have an inter-vdom link between them.

It seems that if I want to allow traffic between a desktop and a server, I need to have 4 rules.

Desktop ==> Server

1 on the incoming interface on the desktop VDOM, and

1 on the "incoming interface" (the inter-vdom link) on the server VDOM

Server ==> Desktop

the exact opposites of the above.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

1 Solution
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

stateful firewall such as the FGT only need to control who is allowed to open a session - this will cover the reply traffic as well.

As you have 2 firewalls now ("servers" and "desktops") you need 2 policies for each intended flow of control, that is, one egress policy on "desktops" and one ingress policy on "servers".

If you additionally want to open connections from a server to a desktop (e.g. for monitoring, or central backup) then you need to add 2 more policies.

If you look at a VDOM as an independent firewall or location, and the inter-VDOM-link as an "WAN" or external interface then it's quite clear how sessions are initiated by whom and how you need policies to allow this.

Or so I hope.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
2 REPLIES 2
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

stateful firewall such as the FGT only need to control who is allowed to open a session - this will cover the reply traffic as well.

As you have 2 firewalls now ("servers" and "desktops") you need 2 policies for each intended flow of control, that is, one egress policy on "desktops" and one ingress policy on "servers".

If you additionally want to open connections from a server to a desktop (e.g. for monitoring, or central backup) then you need to add 2 more policies.

If you look at a VDOM as an independent firewall or location, and the inter-VDOM-link as an "WAN" or external interface then it's quite clear how sessions are initiated by whom and how you need policies to allow this.

Or so I hope.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
lhsit
New Contributor III

Hi Ede,

Thanks for that explanation.

Cheers,

Chris.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors