Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Lamster
New Contributor

Disable ARP on Virtual IP

I'm in the process of moving a customer from Cisco ASA to FortiGate and have run into a small issue with Virtual IP's. 

The FG is setup parallell to the ASA on inside and wan interfaces for reachability/management, all other interfaces are disabled. The plan is to configure as much as possible on the FG before migrating.

Now to the issue.

When I configure the Virtual IP's which are used in ASA for various servers today, the FG starts responding to ARP creating a conflict on the external interface since both ASA and FG responds to the same IP. In ASA it's possible to disable a NAT policy and that way prepare policies without impacting production, but I can't find any way to disable VIP's. 

Any ideas?

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Based on my experience, VIPs on FGT are sticky and act even without references. You probably need to shut down the incoming interface (wan) until the cut-over date.

On the other hand, they're relatively independent from other part of configuration except the policies that use them (if policy-based NAT). So you could leave the changes for the cut-over script.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Based on my experience, VIPs on FGT are sticky and act even without references. You probably need to shut down the incoming interface (wan) until the cut-over date.

On the other hand, they're relatively independent from other part of configuration except the policies that use them (if policy-based NAT). So you could leave the changes for the cut-over script.

Lamster

Okay, that's what I was suspecting. I guess I'll have to shut down the wan interface for now.

Thanks.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I  had this same issue. Since you can't disable the VIP here what we did;

1: build a bogus vip and a define a vip-group

2: apply that in your config using the vip-group ( this allows you to stage all of the  item in the firewall policy )

3: when it comes time to place active, add the correct vip in the cfg and apply to the vip-group  and test 

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
hklb
Contributor II

config firewall vip

edit YourVIP

set arp-reply disable

end

Lamster
New Contributor

I was kinda hoping the set arp-reply enable/disable command would be available as a checkbox in the GUI. 

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions guys. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors